My Lexar USB 3.0 Reader prevents boot past bios, why?

invertalon

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

I just rebuilt my computer last week, and also upgraded my card reader from the USB 2.0 version to the 3.0 model, as my motherboard now supports it.

Once I am in windows, it works just fine. No problem transfering images or anything. If I have the unit plugged in during boot up though, it wont go past the bios.

Running Windows 7 64-Bit Professional
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P Z68 R
i7 2600K
Crucial 128GB SSD
1.5TB Seagate HDD
16GB G Skill DDR3
1000W CoolerMaster Gold PSU
Evga 570 GTX Superclocked

Now, it makes it past the original bios and to the area where its locating the drives for AHCI mode... It gets to the end and then just hangs there. If I unplug the reader, it has no problem booting right through. Only when its plugged in (even without a card in) it will hang here.

I tried disable legacy USB (heard that may work) in bios, but no luck. I also made sure USB is not on the boot list. Only the hard disks and CD rom are on the boot list.

The USB 3.0 drivers were updated as well through gigabyte website for USB 3.0 support. I just don't know why its stopping the computer from booting right after detecting hard drives.

Appreciate any help you can offer! I really would find it annoying to have to unplug/plug whenever I wanted to use the reader. I have 8 other USB 2.0 units plugged in during boot that cause no issue. Only the cardreader does.

Thanks everyone,

invertalon

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Also, the drivers appear to have installed correctly. In device manager, they show as lexar card reader and such. But I did notice it comes up as a "disk drive" in device manager, is that right?

Almost seems like windows or something is trying to run off the reader for some strange reason when it is detecting the drives for AHCI.

MrColeTrickle

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hi invertalon,

I'm just searching for some advice, too.

I hoped to find it in some english threads but no way.

I bought the Hama Cardreader All-In-One SuperSpeed 3.0 from amazon and contacted the Service Hotline.
He told me to change the energymanagement but nothing happend.

There's nearly no difference between our systems:

Windows 7 64-bit Professional
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
i5-2500K
WD10EARX 1GB HDD
8GB G.Skill 1866MHz DDR3
1050W Enermax Revolution PSU
Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC

So it seems to me we have to wait since there will be someone who can help us.

Greetings from Germany
Daniel

ottaky

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I have the same problem here.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
i5 2500K (clocked at 4.6GHz)
OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD
8GB DDR RAM
1TB WD HDD

Card reader is Lexar branded model LRW300U Rev. B1, the box says "Lexar Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader", it's plugged into one of the "USB 3.0" sockets on the motherboard. Linux identifies the reader as "ID 05dc:b049 Lexar Media, Inc."

I bought the card reader earlier in the week. Plugged it into my PC while the OS (Kubuntu 11.10) was running, confirmed that it was working and powered off. the PC. I didn't touch the PC again until last night, when I found that it was stopping during boot. The PC starts to boot, gets to the point where the AHCI sequence starts and then sits there indefinitely.

Had me scratching my head for a while trying to figure out what the problem might be - then I remembered the new card reader, unplugged it, restarted and everything was back to normal - the AHCI sequence completed and the OS loaded up. The reader still works fine when I plug it in after the PC has booted.

Not the end of the world, but definitely annoying now that I have to remember to unplug the reader whenever I finish using it.