CHILAX747

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
hi all

i have been reading many articles of onboard vs sound cards. They all have a commonplace- they all say a sound card is not necessary if you just have some random stereo speakers. If you have stereo speakers the differences between onboard and a sound card are so small that they cannot be noticed by the human ear. However, i do not have random stereo speakers, I have $400 logitech z-5500 5.1 . I should mention that i am running these speakers off onboard sound off my Asus P5QL - EM.

Heres my question
These speakers sound great, but can they sound even better if i get a sound card ?
And theres so many sound cards- which one? i could free $200 - $300 if necessary.

cheers and beers

chilax747

Solution
I've never found a real advantage with a sound card. Maybe there are some, but my ears just can't seem to hear them. I think the point behind an expensive sound card is the ability to do some music editing and the like, but for normal gaming, IMO, onboard is just fine.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I've never found a real advantage with a sound card. Maybe there are some, but my ears just can't seem to hear them. I think the point behind an expensive sound card is the ability to do some music editing and the like, but for normal gaming, IMO, onboard is just fine.

Solution