2500k 4111MHz vcore 1.15 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmbun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hello, I am very new to OC'g and would like to ask a question of someone more knowledgeable than I.
I have a 2500k in a GA-z68x-ud3h-b3 running at 4111Mhz (102.8x40) with a vcore setting of 1.15v & LLC level 5. Turbo is disabled and eveything else in the bios is pretty much auto. The system is pretty stable and I have run one Prime95 blend test for an hour with no problems. Temperatures are below 66C all 4 cores during the test. Core voltage is reported by AIDA64 at 1.16 idle and 1.18 under load.
My objective is to achieve a mild overclock without shorting the lifespan of the cpu to much.
1. Is it safe to run at this voltage?
2. Do you really have to run prime95 for hours to test if I'm not a gamer?
3. Is 105w under testing as aida64 reported for the cpu package abnormal?

Thanks for any replys and comments.

Solution
Check out my beginner's guide for a little more insight into some of this stuff. I posted it on Tom's here in overclocking, or you can just check out my blog (see signature).

Intel Burn Test is much more sensitive to errors and running a normal stress test with 25 passes will almost guarantee the CPU is stable. If you want to test the RAM, just change it to Maximum stress and do at least 5-10 runs.
It's ok with that voltage.
If you have errors with Prime 95 than your system is not stable.
Cpu's consume more power if they are under load.With Prime 95 your cpu is 100% load.
If you try to overclock more and if you don't have, buy an aftermarket cooler and replace the stock cooler.
The maximum safe voltage is 1.35V ( i heard from others)

it looks like you are tring to OC by raising your Bclk.
Your clock Freq should be left at 100 MHz. This clk freq is also applied to Memory (no biggy) and to your pci-e slots amonung other things. This can cause some undesirable effects. Normally 102.8 is not a big increase, Recommend you return it to 100 MHz and up your multiplyer to 41, if ok then try 42.

Raising bclk is normally on done on the H6x series MBs which do not allow OCing, and then I do not recommend.

gmbun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
thanks for the reply's and comments. I feel better now knowing that my vcore is not out of bounds on the low end. I know some electronics don't do well if the voltage is to low and wondered if this was the case with this cpu. I just finished a 3.5 hour run of P95 blend and had no problems, so that's good, though I still don't know why it takes so long to find out if there is a problem.?
Would there be any sense in trying a vcore lower than 1.15 if the system is stable and I am happy with this speed?
Thanks again for the replys.

Check out my beginner's guide for a little more insight into some of this stuff. I posted it on Tom's here in overclocking, or you can just check out my blog (see signature).

Intel Burn Test is much more sensitive to errors and running a normal stress test with 25 passes will almost guarantee the CPU is stable. If you want to test the RAM, just change it to Maximum stress and do at least 5-10 runs.

Solution

gmbun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
wolfram23,
I just got done reading your excellent guide, the best I have read so far, very concise, thanks on behalf of noob's everywhere. I am beginning to understand a lot more of this thanks to generous contributors such as yourself. Please continue.

Thank you! :D

I haven't got much feedback on it, so it's really nice to hear that.

I'm cooking up a GPU OC guide... still in the planning stages but it shouldn't take long once I sit down to write it.

gmbun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
wolfram23,
One thing you may consider adding or touching on in your guide is dynamic Vcore and how these offsets are used properly. I know I am still fuzzy on that feature adjustment. Thanks again for a great guide.

Yeah that's a good point! Now that you mention it that is definitely something that should be in there. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.