Sign in with
Your question

How do i transfer settings to new OS on same PC?

Last response: in Windows XP
March 15, 2012 12:48:35 PM

My originally installed XP Media OS has become corrupted, and I have been unable to repair it, so I installed a new XP Pro OS on the same PC. How can I transfer the settings from the old OS into the new OS (on the same PC)?

After that, how do I delete the old OS?

More about : transfer settings

March 15, 2012 12:59:05 PM

rgwalton said:
My originally installed XP Media OS has become corrupted, and I have been unable to repair it, so I installed a new XP Pro OS on the same PC. How can I transfer the settings from the old OS into the new OS (on the same PC)?

After that, how do I delete the old OS?

What settings ?

Did you install the XP Pro on a separate partition from Media OS ?
m
l
March 15, 2012 1:02:37 PM

No. I installed it on the same partition.

New OS runs fine, but I'm unable to transfer settings from old OS to new OS, following the MS instructions. The Transfer Wizard will not recognize the file that I made from the old OS.
m
l
Related resources
March 15, 2012 5:35:22 PM

Well, you trashed the old OS when you installed the new one. What do you mean by "the file that I made from the old OS?" Is it a backup, a copy of the /windows directory, a .zip file, what? If a backup, it may be possible to restore it to another drive and migrate from that restore.

===========

Unasked for advice: Back up both your data and your OS regularly. It's less of a nuisance than having to start over in case of a problem.
m
l
March 15, 2012 6:21:52 PM

It seems that the old system runs the same as before I did anything. Boot-up gives me a choice between the two operating systems when it boots. If I select the old OS (XP Media) it runs the same as it did before I installed the new OS. If I select the new OS (XP Professional), it runs the new OS with no problems, but no personal settings.

I have been attempting to "transfer" the old settings from the original OS, using XP's Transfer Wizard. The Wizard will copy settings files from the old OS, but when I use the Wizard with the new OS to try to transfer those files, it can't read the files from the flash drive.

I've also tried a "System Restore" but the OS goes through the entire restore process, reboots, then shows a message that it is "unable to restore". I get the same message on all restore points! (I have always had the same problem with System Restore on another desktop PC in my office.)

I'm considering a full format of the PC, with a new installation of XP Pro, but I'm really reluctant to do that.

Any suggestions?

Bob
m
l
!