Best place to buy older CPU's?

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Ok guys I just saw a listing on ebay for an e8400 for .99 cents and my scam meter is going off, how can they do this? hell even if I bidded $20 is seems like a rip off.

Can someone explain how and why someone would do that?

Solution
D
Well other than ebay maybe try a post in the in the forums here at Tom's in the Deals section. Post what you are looking for and about how much you want to spend. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-8-33.html

If you live in or near a decent sized city try craigslist.

Call local computer repair shops and tell them what you are trying to do. Who knows they may have one laying around in an old system and be willing to do a trade with you.

Thats all I can really think of unless you live near a large city that still has a huge newspaper with good classifieds.
D

Deleted member 217926

I wouldnt waste any money trying to upgrade a Pentium D. You will only see a TINY increase going from 3.0 to 3.4. also thats not really a gaming machine at least not since 2005 or so when it was new.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Pentium D 9xx series cpu's were created in 2006, they were intel's flagship before the CD2, although I admit it was just a stopgap product.

I play Source games which have recently greatly increased the CPU requirements over the years and every update makes TF2 more of a whore every cycle counts and if I can get a 3.4GHz cpu for under $30 bucks I would take it, the thread was intended to inquire where to find resonably priced older CPU's.

D

Deleted member 217926

Well other than ebay maybe try a post in the in the forums here at Tom's in the Deals section. Post what you are looking for and about how much you want to spend. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-8-33.html

If you live in or near a decent sized city try craigslist.

Call local computer repair shops and tell them what you are trying to do. Who knows they may have one laying around in an old system and be willing to do a trade with you.

Thats all I can really think of unless you live near a large city that still has a huge newspaper with good classifieds.

Solution

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Those Pentium Ds are heat MONSTERS and going from 3.0 to 3.4 is just going to make that statement more true. If you're talking about a Dell/HP type computer, the cooling system might not be up for the job... if you're talking about a home built with a decent aftermarket cooler, you should be in the clear. Since you're talking about a 3.4 chip, I assume that'd be a Presler Pentium D... and that means it'd have a 130 watt TDP. Plan accordingly.

Btw, TF2 is AWESOME!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
And to actually answer your question... I'd suggest poking around in your local computer shops. Not saying you should be looking for a new one in a retail box... just stuff they have out of fried computers. Computers that age with dead mobos are normally tossed.

protokiller

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Ok guys I just saw a listing on ebay for an e8400 for .99 cents and my scam meter is going off, how can they do this? hell even if I bidded $20 is seems like a rip off.

Can someone explain how and why someone would do that?