Sign in with
Your question

Homebuilt server for Hyper-V or ESXi

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2009 2:58:24 PM

I'm looking into building a system that's primarily going to be running VMs (either ESXi or MS Hyper-V based).

Does anyone have suggestions for CPU, MoBo etc. ?
* 4 or more cores
* At least 12GB RAM
* At least 4 disks, RAID.

This is will my new labserver for testing out new (MS) server SW.

My budget is in the $1,000 - $1,500 range.

Thanks in advance.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 3, 2009 7:20:20 PM

The requirements to run ESXi and Hyper-V are rather different, i.e., unlike Hyper-V, ESXi hardware support is somewhat limited (in particular NICs and RAID controllers). Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V will run on lots of motherboards and the on-board RAID is supported. Your main concern is stability (crashing VMs should be avoided).

I use motherboards that are good for overclocking (I don't overclock them to make sure they are stable) and very good memory. I tested Windows Server 2008 using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (my current VM server) and an Asus P5Q Deluxe. I also built a server based on a Biostar TPower I45 for Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V. All systems use 8 GB of DDR2-800 G.Skill memory. If I had to build a new test server, I would probably use the GA-EP45-UD3P again with a Q8400 or faster CPU, but VMs in a test environment usually don't require a lot of CPU power. Your hardware requirements might be different, but I run only a few VMs at a time and all they do is run Oracle and Tomcat.

If you can afford it, buy the fastest hard disks that you can afford because that's where the bottleneck often is.
!