Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cannot install Windows on drive with Raid turned on! Help!!!

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2011 7:45:05 PM

Okay. A quick recap...

I had my OS installed on my SSD and a second hard drive for programs and data. I purchased three drives to replace the old secondary hd to run in Raid. In order to setup the three drives in RAID, i had to switch from AHCI to RAID in the Bios. When I did this in the Bios, the SSD would no longer boot Windows.

It was recommended that I assign the SSD as RAID Ready (which obviously deletes all the data on the SSD) and reinstall Windows. However, now when I load from the Windows disk it cannot find ANY hard drive to install anywhere! Thus, I am completely dead in the water.

The windows install suggests I install drivers. However, I did not have to do this last time I installed windows and I have no idea what I should be installing.

Please HELP! I'm clearly new at this, and now I think I might have really messed something up.

Thanks if you can help.

Best solution

a c 93 G Storage
August 9, 2011 8:23:50 PM

as soon you enable RAID you will need to load the chipset/Raid drivers during the installation of the OS
August 9, 2011 8:40:02 PM

I installed the RAID drivers but that's all. With the SSD set as either Raid Ready or unassigned Windows still says it cannot install to any disk. Are there other drivers I need? Should the SSD be set to single disc or RAId Ready?
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2011 9:05:07 PM

Tried to install the other IDE driver but to no avail.
m
l
August 9, 2011 9:19:02 PM

Got it. You have to install driver and then reinsert the windows disk to install OS. Thx.
m
l
August 9, 2011 9:34:48 PM

Best answer selected by ahthurungnone.
m
l
!