Sign in with
Your question

How long does it take to format a 1 terabyte sandisk

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2011 9:13:21 PM

Hello, I just received a one terabyte sandisk for my cell phone and when I went to format, it won't allow a quick format and when I uncheck quick format it appears to be on but no movement on the indicator.

Any thoughts?

PS FYI, I have a Intel Core Duo 2 Ghz with a 250 G hard drive
a c 103 G Storage
August 10, 2011 5:17:25 PM

I think you mean a gigabyte, there is no cards for phones even close to a TB in size.

Could be a bad card, if it's new, bring it back for another one.
m
l
August 10, 2011 6:13:25 PM

no, seriously, when I plug the phone up to my laptop windows format pops up and says that is the size of the card (1.3 TB). I tried to change it but it is the only option it gives. I don't know if it is a bad card but it certainly isn't working unless it can be formatted. I downloaded the SanDisk media manager but it cannot detect it either.
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 G Storage
August 10, 2011 8:35:05 PM

Probably a bad card. Try to plug the card directly into a media reader instead of running it on the phone. Windows may be reporting the size as 1.3 tb, but there is nothing available on the planet that will fit 1 tb of data on a 5mm long card. Maybe in some lab in MIT they have storage density that high.
m
l
August 10, 2011 9:01:16 PM

When you just bought any hard disk, being magnetic, SSD or any SD types, you have to format it completely before starting to use it, unless it was already formatted. You cannot do a quick format the first time you do it, and yes it is WAY WAY LONG... leave it work, for hours if needed. Say tomorrow it has not finished formatting then you can conclude you have a problem.
m
l
a c 103 G Storage
August 11, 2011 1:33:24 PM

MrBig55 said:
When you just bought any hard disk, being magnetic, SSD or any SD types, you have to format it completely before starting to use it, unless it was already formatted. You cannot do a quick format the first time you do it, and yes it is WAY WAY LONG... leave it work, for hours if needed. Say tomorrow it has not finished formatting then you can conclude you have a problem.

He already has a problem if windows is reporting a phone media card as being 1.3 TB in size :) 
m
l
August 11, 2011 2:54:15 PM

If you plug the phone directly into the computer, you should install the correct drivers for the phone before you try to work with it.
m
l
!