Unresponsive shortcuts, system info files and folders

After installation of a Spyware program that almost
wiped out my entire computer, I have pretty much got
everything caught up except my display and some system
locating issues. Most of the shortcuts and file, folder
icons on my desktop generate no response when I attempt
to open them. They are dead-ends, but do not generate an
error message. I have also found that I cannot create a
shortcut from any of my drives onto my desktop.
Troubleshooting guides do not seem to be providing a
resolution. I have already tried re-installing windows
and it's updates, doing it again just doesn't sound like
much fun. Where should I go from here? Thanx
1 answer Last reply
More about unresponsive shortcuts system info files folders

    I would start by disabling all startup programs (you can do this by going to
    Start\Run and entering "msconfig"; from there, select "Diagnostic Startup").

    If that makes no difference, then you may need to resort to more extreme
    measures. If your system was compromised by a worm or trojan horse, then the
    only way you can be sure it's clean is to start over with a clean install.

    --
    Please reply in newsgroup.

    "Sondi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After installation of a Spyware program that almost
    > wiped out my entire computer, I have pretty much got
    > everything caught up except my display and some system
    > locating issues. Most of the shortcuts and file, folder
    > icons on my desktop generate no response when I attempt
    > to open them. They are dead-ends, but do not generate an
    > error message. I have also found that I cannot create a
    > shortcut from any of my drives onto my desktop.
    > Troubleshooting guides do not seem to be providing a
    > resolution. I have already tried re-installing windows
    > and it's updates, doing it again just doesn't sound like
    > much fun. Where should I go from here? Thanx

Configuration Windows XP