BSOD error when trying to reinstall xp:

Vic113127

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
BSOD0x7b (0xf78da63c, oxc0000034, 0x[all zeros], 0x[all zeros]

PC was infected with TR/Crypt.uplm, but I was able to remove it with antivirus from clean bootable pen drive.
I then wiped and reformatted the drive, but now I get the above listed stop error, and it says hal.dll is missing or corrupt on install...I am confused. Any ideas what this code means? I looked it up directly on Google, and found many general 0x7b error descriptions, but nothing specifically describing this exact code.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I just got my PC back in January after 3 months without one, and now it's been another 2 months of problems.

One other (possibly unrelated question), can viruses store themselves anywhere on a motherboard? I am curious because that is all I replaced other than upgrading the power supply, and I installed antivirus before I even installed my internet connection.

Thanks again.

Vic

Solution
The most important Blue Screen of Death troubleshooting step you can take is to ask yourself what you just did.

1) Did you just install a new program or a piece of hardware, update a driver, install an update, etc.? If so, there's a very good chance that the change you made caused the BSOD:
Startup using Last Known Good Configuration to undo recent registry and driver changes.
Use System Restore to undo recent system changes.
Roll Back device driver to version prior to your driver update.

2) Scan your computer for viruses. Some viruses can cause a Blue Screen of Death, especially ones that infect the master boot record (MBR) or boot sector.

3) Update drivers for your hardware. Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver related...

You did make the CD 1st boot device for installing didn't you ? Hal.dll will not be missing on the CD. - Also, you may have a hard driver error.

alishathomaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
The most important Blue Screen of Death troubleshooting step you can take is to ask yourself what you just did.

1) Did you just install a new program or a piece of hardware, update a driver, install an update, etc.? If so, there's a very good chance that the change you made caused the BSOD:
Startup using Last Known Good Configuration to undo recent registry and driver changes.
Use System Restore to undo recent system changes.
Roll Back device driver to version prior to your driver update.

2) Scan your computer for viruses. Some viruses can cause a Blue Screen of Death, especially ones that infect the master boot record (MBR) or boot sector.

3) Update drivers for your hardware. Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver related so updated drivers could fix the cause of the STOP error.

4) Return hardware settings to default in Device Manager. Unless you have a specific reason to do so, the system resources that an individual piece of hardware is configured to use in Device Manager should be set to default. Non-default hardware settings have been known to cause a Blue Screen of Death.

5) Return BIOS settings to their default levels. An overclocked or misconfigured BIOS can cause all sorts of random issues, including BSODs.

Solution

Vic113127

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Thank you all. As it turned out, although the BIOS was set correctly for USB booting, and also detected the HDD...
The USB copy of windows install did not detect the hdd. I was able to get an optical drive on loan, and the system is reinstalled now.

I truly appreciate all the responses. It always helps me to review step by step with an outside eye or 15 to make sure I didn't miss something.