Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Moving from a HD to a SSD, How Windows 7 factors in

Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2011 12:39:29 AM

I am considering purchasing a vertex 3 ssd. I already have a windows 7 instalation on my 1 TB hard drive. My data on the hard drive is less than the ssd I am going to purchase. I plan on imaging my hard drive to the ssd with Acronis True Image. From what I understand if you do a fresh install of windows 7 onto a ssd windows 7 will optimize its self for the best ssd performance.

If I image my Hard drive will windows 7 still optimize its self?

I would rather just image the hard drive than having to reinstall windows and change settings to what I prefer.
Thanks
a b G Storage
August 10, 2011 5:21:53 PM

I'm not quite sure, but the tweaks windows 7 does are really easy and the main ones can be done manually in minutes.
m
l

Best solution

August 10, 2011 8:34:55 PM

SSD Optimization Guide

Just like any other hardware change, imaging the drive isn't the best way to do it, just the easiest. Most of the time there aren't any problems doing it that way.

Note that you should keep the hard drive in the system to serve as your data drive. You will want to move the user folders (My Documents, My Music, etc) to the hard drive, and install most programs to it as well. Only your most-used programs/games should be on the SSD.
Related resources
August 17, 2011 12:19:14 AM

Best answer selected by Someguy27.
m
l
August 26, 2011 7:19:21 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
I'm not quite sure, but the tweaks windows 7 does are really easy and the main ones can be done manually in minutes.

I have just copied nmy W-7 hard drive to a new SSD and then replaced the SSD in my thinkpad... when booted after logging on I get a blue screen with a "Windows 7, Built 7601, the copy of Windows in not a Guine Copy" -- are there patches (tweaks) the can fix this?

m
l
!