• Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
  • Motherboards
  • Hitachi
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2011 1:46:53 AM

Hello,

On my new build the Asus Z68 ProV motherboard was defective and Windows 7 only partially installed on my hitachi 1.5 TB HDD.

I got a new motherboard (AsRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 - it is much better than the Asus board) and loaded Windows 7 on an SSD boot drive.

The Hitachi drive is only showing 99 MB of capacity (probably because of Windows 7 being partially loaded on it) What is the easiest way to completely delete everything off of the Hitachi drive?

Should I reformat the drive?

More about : erasing reformatting hdd windows

a c 241 V Motherboard
a c 143 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
August 10, 2011 1:53:02 AM

I would just reformat the hitachi drive and start fresh with it.... IMO
m
l
August 10, 2011 6:42:25 AM

tecmo34 said:
I would just reformat the hitachi drive and start fresh with it.... IMO

Thanks for your reply. How do you reformat a drive in Windows 7?
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2011 7:12:25 AM

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

http://www.iwillfixyourcomp.com
m
l
August 10, 2011 7:34:06 AM

iwillfixyourcomp said:
Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

http://www.iwillfixyourcomp.com

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry that I wasn't more clear. Windows 7 is installed on my 120 GB Corsair F3 GT SSD and the Hitachi 1.5 TB HDD is a separate drive for storage. I do not want to install Windows 7 on the Hitachi drive, I just want to erase it and use if for storage.

It is really weird because right now it is showing up as an MBR partition with just 100 MB of storage. I am not sure why it is showing up as a master boot record partition. It is a little frustrating.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
August 10, 2011 7:57:57 AM

You should be able to right click on the drive in my computer and format. If that doesn't work, go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk management. From there you should have all the tools you need. You should be able to delete all the existing volumes from your hitachi and create a new volume with whatever kind of partition table you want. I don't know the exact commands, but if you have trouble figuring it out let me know and I'll try it on one of my old drives.
August 10, 2011 8:05:52 AM

OK I solved the problem. Originally when I had installed Windows 7 on this drive with the other (bad) motherboard that was defective, it created a 100 MB "master boot drive." I guess that is something that Windows 7 does. You have to reformat the disk to get rid of that partition.

Control Panel - System and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management

Under "Storage" click "Disk Management"

Select the 100 MB master boot drive and right click and select "delete." Note that you would not do this with your boot drive. This eliminates the partition and creates a "simple drive." A unified drive with no partitions. Then right click the new unified drive and format it and assign a letter name to it. Voila you have a new complete unified HDD without the nuisance 100 MB partition which is useless anyway with a non-boot drive.

Hope this helps anyone with this problem.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create...
m
l
August 10, 2011 10:35:59 AM

flong said:
Hello,

On my new build the Asus Z68 ProV motherboard was defective and Windows 7 only partially installed on my hitachi 1.5 TB HDD.

I got a new motherboard (AsRock Extreme 4 Gen 3 - it is much better than the Asus board) and loaded Windows 7 on an SSD boot drive.

The Hitachi drive is only showing 99 MB of capacity (probably because of Windows 7 being partially loaded on it) What is the easiest way to completely delete everything off of the Hitachi drive?

Should I reformat the drive?

Hey,
I have the same Mobo, and HDD.

Hitachi is really "shakey".

I had a Ia.stor.sys/system32/drivers problem and had to reformat.
m
l
August 10, 2011 6:39:43 PM

Hachi said:
Hey,
I have the same Mobo, and HDD.

Hitachi is really "shakey".

I had a Ia.stor.sys/system32/drivers problem and had to reformat.

So far I have not had any problems. It was not the drive's fault in this case because the motherboard would not function and Windows 7 did not fully download which caused the mobo to not post. Hopefully the Hitachi drive will be a great drive.
m
l
August 10, 2011 6:41:25 PM

danraies said:
You should be able to right click on the drive in my computer and format. If that doesn't work, go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > storage > disk management. From there you should have all the tools you need. You should be able to delete all the existing volumes from your hitachi and create a new volume with whatever kind of partition table you want. I don't know the exact commands, but if you have trouble figuring it out let me know and I'll try it on one of my old drives.

Thanks. For some reason your answer did not come up before I posted that I have found the answer. However, you are 100% correct with what you said and I appreciate your help.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
August 10, 2011 8:38:02 PM

flong said:
Thanks. For some reason your answer did not come up before I posted that I have found the answer. However, you are 100% correct with what you said and I appreciate your help.

No problem. Glad you got it working.
m
l
August 17, 2011 1:41:30 AM

Best answer selected by flong.
m
l