Hotel/Motel Digital Phone Switching Systems & Laptop Modem..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 2:50:12 PM

A round on me Shirley,,

Long ago(80's-90's) there was a problem with using phone service in hotels/motels that had started
using digital phone switching. If I remember correctly,, the voltage on the digital phone wire was
sufficient to fry pc card & internal modems..

Anyone know if this is still a problem???

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 2:50:13 PM

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:

> A round on me Shirley,,
>
> Long ago(80's-90's) there was a problem with using phone service in hotels/motels that had started
> using digital phone switching. If I remember correctly,, the voltage on the digital phone wire was
> sufficient to fry pc card & internal modems..
>
> Anyone know if this is still a problem???

You may want to consider using a data cable on your celphone, if you
have that capability. With the typical very high price of hotel phone
calling, you could save enough to pay for the cable in short order.

Since hotels started trying to use the phones to make more money, I've
stopped using hotel phones at all, except to phone hotel staff of course
:)

Lisa
May 31, 2004 5:12:39 PM

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> A round on me Shirley,,
>
> Long ago(80's-90's) there was a problem with using phone service in
hotels/motels that had started
> using digital phone switching. If I remember correctly,, the voltage on
the digital phone wire was
> sufficient to fry pc card & internal modems..
>
> Anyone know if this is still a problem???
>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

I don't get involved much with modems but back when the manufacturers
started designing in protection to prevent that from happening.

I will never forget a customer who fried his PCMCIA modem by plugging it
into a digital phone circuit. The guy absolutely would not believe me that
there was a difference so he plugged the replacement modem into the same
circuit and fried it too.
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 5:37:04 PM

Thanks Guys,,
I remember having the exact same thing happen to one of the management team I supported,, fried a
couple cards. IBM use to sell a box that converted the digital to analog, sold it with the early pc
card modems...
1's just got 2 b careful...
Jim
An Old Parrot Head,
In the Conch Republic,
Just South of Reality
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2004 8:45:55 PM

Yes, it can still be a problem; modems have components capable of taking
higher voltages today, but not so much higher that this can't still
happen. But in any case you can't connect an analog modem to a digital
phone line -- whether it blows out the modem or not, it won't work. So
find out BEFORE you connect to the phone line if it's analog or digita.
Note, in almost all cases where the phone system itself is digital,
the phone itself has a "dataport" on it which is an analog connection
that is safe to use.

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:

> A round on me Shirley,,
>
> Long ago(80's-90's) there was a problem with using phone service in hotels/motels that had started
> using digital phone switching. If I remember correctly,, the voltage on the digital phone wire was
> sufficient to fry pc card & internal modems..
>
> Anyone know if this is still a problem???
>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 1, 2004 12:29:02 AM

I believe that IBM still sells that device, and in any case I have one
in my laptop case. It looks more like a pen than a box, however, with
an RJ11 plug on one end. It was FRU 73G5395; it is no longer being
made, but can still be obtained:

http://www.dealtime.com/xPC-IBM_IBM_Modem_Saver_MPN

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Thanks Guys,,
> I remember having the exact same thing happen to one of the management team I supported,, fried a
> couple cards. IBM use to sell a box that converted the digital to analog, sold it with the early pc
> card modems...
> 1's just got 2 b careful...
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head,
> In the Conch Republic,
> Just South of Reality

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 2, 2004 7:46:16 AM

The pen-like modem saver is not what jj_bpk is referring to. All the
modem saver would do is to test the line and let you know if it was
safe to plug an analog modem into it. The box jj_bpk refers to went
between the digital line and the analog modem and converted the signal
from the line into an analog signal that the modem could use.

!