Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H or ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

airborn354

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Hi guys, I'm building a gaming system and I'm having a hard time deciding if I want Gigabyte's GA-890GPA-UD3H or the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 from ASUS.If ya'll could share any experiences or other helpful info on these boards that would help me out. Thanx!

I'll probably use this stuff with the board if it helps you any.
Phenom II x4 965BE
Sapphire Radeon 5770 HD
WD Caviar Black 1Tb 64Mb SATA 6.0Gb/s
8Gb Corsair RAM DDR-1333Mhz
I'm planning to run Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

PS: I'm also planning on doing some moderate overclocking and will probably have a liquid cooling system if that makes any difference...

stjojeam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Look at this review/comparison of the 2 motherboards on The TechReport's website, which can be found here :

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18539/1

I was basically having a otugh time deciding between the 2, but based on this comparison, the Asus will get the nod. It's generally quicker and in most cases uses less CPU power. I also like the eSATA on the backports. In addition, the price difference is not that significant between the 2 (Asus costs ~$15 CDN more). The Tech Report's comparison is the most informative on the web right now. other reviews of the motherboards are available, but are only on 1 or the other mobos.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

If you think in mind that both mobos have the new chipset, I would not get any one of both. Why?, because is a new chipset with less that 2 months in the market and we don't know what problems can show in the future.

Also, both mobos have onboard video, that isn't good for gaming, so, if I were you, I would get a 790FXTA.

rokr047

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Hi, can you pls explain why onboard video is not good for gaming??

thnx..