Do people who plan for SLI/Crossfire actually use it?

Do people who plan for SLI/Crossfire actually end up using it?

• Yes, after a couple of months of saving I alway buy that second card, just like I planned.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I always plan on using it, but always end up upgrading all my GPU, PSU and motherboard, so I never g

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, when the times comes to upgrade I always end up replacing my one card with one newer and much mo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't do SLI/Crossfire it's overkill and a waste of money and electricity.

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
In the "Homebuilt Systems" section people often say they want that bigger, more expensive PSU and motherboard with a cheaper graphics card so they can go SLI/Crossfire later on. It seems only a minority believes it's better to get a cheaper PSU and motherboard and invest that money in one big mean monster of a card.

I was curious how many people who make room for SLI/Crossfire actually end up using it?

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Well I think the "rule" is to buy the fastest single card you could afford instead of 2 cheaper cards in SLI or CF so when the prices come down later on you could buy the second card. Also, never skimp out on the PSU so your computer has room to grow.

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I had just 1 GTX260 for months, then I got my EX58-UD5 motherboard and could rock 3 cards! 3 seemed a bit like overkill but since I already had a 1000w psu and GTX260's got cheaper I got a second card. I'm glad I did. For the price 2 gtx260's in SLI are good contenders.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Within reasonable limits (no Rosewill or ECS please...), a monster videocard on a cheaper featured mobo using a solid brand name psu will give the best performance for the buck.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

That's the way I see it as well, but apparently we belong to a small minority.