Memory + motherboard

hi, i have the ASROCK conroexfire-esata2 motherboard which supports 667mhz memory, with a pair or yellow slots and a pair of orange slots for dual channel. (everything DDR2)

i currently have x1 667mhz 1gb memory in a yellow slot.

if i want to have another (non identical) x1 667mhz 1gb ram in do i have to put it in the orange slot since i can't put it in the yellow slot or else dual channel would be activated and it wouldn't work since different brand.

i think i want to buy a pair tho http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106133 at ebuyer but i am not TOTALLY sure if this is compatible with my board, i don't know how to look at voltages and stuff :S.

P.S. what does it mean by lifetime gaurantee? is it still valid if i install the ram myself?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about memory motherboard
  1. Hi.

1- What do you mean with "non identical", if with this you are saying that isn't the same brand, that's very important. If your current RAM and the new RAM that you want have the same CL and voltage, you can installed in dual-channel and can be work without problems.
    2- You mobo support 667MHz or 533MHz, and 4GB Max. So, you can install the RAM of the link without problems.

P.D. Lifetime warranty means, that if you buy that RAM today and in 10 years fail, the manufacturer replace your RAM for another one.
  2. saint19 said:
    Hi.

1- What do you mean with "non identical", if with this you are saying that isn't the same brand, that's very important. If your current RAM and the new RAM that you want have the same CL and voltage, you can installed in dual-channel and can be work without problems.
    2- You mobo support 667MHz or 533MHz, and 4GB Max. So, you can install the RAM of the link without problems.

P.D. Lifetime warranty means, that if you buy that RAM today and in 10 years fail, the manufacturer replace your RAM for another one.

oh ok, by non-indentical its different brand and frankly i don't know what voltages, how do i check the voltages and CL of my current ram without opening the case?

also whats CL?
  3. Ok.

1- Like I said up, the same brand isn't necessary for dual-channel, only CL and voltage.
    2- In general terms, the CL means Cas Latency (CL), that is the time that past when the memory controller ask to the RAM for a specific data, and the RAM reply with that data. With this, we can say that a low CL is better, and with that the RAM is better. If you want learn a little more about CL, see here
    3- The best way for know the CL and voltage of your RAM is open the case, because the mobos sometimes change the value of the CL and voltage for the RAM. So, unplug you power cord, open your case and in some place of your RAM must say the CL and voltage.
  4. saint19 said:
    Ok.

1- Like I said up, the same brand isn't necessary for dual-channel, only CL and voltage.
    2- In general terms, the CL means Cas Latency (CL), that is the time that past when the memory controller ask to the RAM for a specific data, and the RAM reply with that data. With this, we can say that a low CL is better, and with that the RAM is better. If you want learn a little more about CL, see here
    3- The best way for know the CL and voltage of your RAM is open the case, because the mobos sometimes change the value of the CL and voltage for the RAM. So, unplug you power cord, open your case and in some place of your RAM must say the CL and voltage.

oh ok, btw would you say http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105972 this is decent, only £16 on offer which is cheaper than most places, i think i would buy x2, if i do buy x2 and run on dual channel, shud i just throw away my 1gb ram ive got at the moment or keep it in the pc for 3gb? or would that just make a bottle neck for the dual channel pair?
  5. ^That's a good RAM. You won't see any difference if you install 2GB, or 3GB.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Dual Channel Motherboards