How to install SP2 Upgrade on the D: Partition

My machine was configured to have a small c: partition
and the larger partition is D:. The SP upgrade fails
because C: does not have enough space. How do I get
around that?

Thanks

Hans
5 answers Last reply
More about install upgrade partition

    About the only option I know (short of reinstalling and
    partitioning your hard drive) would be to get a copy of
    partition magic and something similar and resize your "C
    drive" partition.

    Good luck.

    You don't.
    SP-2 as SP-2 needs a certain amount of space on c:
    "You must also have 30 MB of free hard disk space on the first primary
    system partition.":
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837783

    However you can use a 3rd party application to modify the partition:
    http://www.bootitng.com/
    http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Hans Kolbe" <hanskolbe@celantrasystems.com> wrote in message
    > My machine was configured to have a small c: partition
    > and the larger partition is D:. The SP upgrade fails
    > because C: does not have enough space. How do I get
    > around that?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Hans

    Thanks, I accept defeat - not very gracefully though.

    Hans

    As follows are some ways to free disk space on the local system:

    -- Use the built-in Disk Cleanup Utility to create more free
    space. For more information search the Help and Support Center
    for the phrase: Removing unneeded files. And if Disk Cleanup
    hangs see the applicable Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

    KB823302 - The Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;823302

    KB812248 - Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While
    Compressing Old Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;812248

    NOTE: Compression adds overhead to the system because a
    compressed NTFS file is decompressed, copied, and then
    recompressed as a new file even when the file is copied in the
    same computer. Because of this potential loss of performance, you
    may not want to compress some files. For more information see
    the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB307987 - HOW TO: Use File Compression in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;307987

    -- Set the Windows File Protection dllcache quota to 0
    (sfc /cachesize=0). Then purge the cache (sfc /purgecache).
    NOTE: If WFP needs to replace a file, you will have to insert the
    installation CD-ROM. For more information see the following
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

    KB310747 - Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
    System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;310747

    -- Delete Service Pack Uninstall Folders
    ($NtServicePackUninstall$). NOTE: Only delete the
    $NtServicePackUninstall$ folders if you have determined that
    there is no longer a need to return the system to the pre-Service
    Pack state. For more information see the following Microsoft
    Knowledge Base Articles:

    KB329260 - How to Remove Windows XP Service Pack 1 Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;329260

    -- Relocate the ServicePackFiles folder to an alternate drive or
    network share, and then update the source location registry key.
    For more information about the source location registry key see
    the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB327393 - You Do Not Have to Reinstall Windows XP Service Packs
    After System State Changes
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;327393

    NOTE: If the files contained in the
    %Systemroot%\ServicePackFiles directory are deleted, you will
    need to re-create them by reinstalling the Service Pack.

    -- Delete the driver.cab file located in the %SystemRoot%\Driver
    Cache\I386 folder. NOTE: If a driver is required Windows XP will
    prompt you for the installation CD-ROM or you may receive an
    error message. Furthermore, since the "Add New Hardware Wizard"
    does not recognize drivers in the driver.cab you will need to
    either restore the driver.cab (see KB810882 for the general
    idea). Else you could use the System Configuration Utility
    (Msconfig.exe) to Expand the necessary driver(s), then point the
    Wizard to them. Also, if you are not logged on as a user with
    administrative privileges the driver installation is not
    successful. For more information see the following Microsoft
    Knowledge Base Articles. (Note that KB255771 is not written
    specifically for WinXP. However I have tested the procedure on
    WinXP Professional and the behavior is the same):

    KB255771 - How to Minimize the Installed Footprint of Windows
    2000 Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=255771

    KB810882 - Error Message: Cannot Install Hardware. An Error
    Occurred During the Installation of the Device
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;810882

    KB310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;310560

    -- Remove unneeded optional Windows Components such as such as
    MSN Explorer and Games, and remove unused 3rd party programs.
    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    Articles:

    KB305548 - HOW TO: Add Components and Programs to a Computer in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;305548

    KB307895 - HOW TO: Change or Remove a Program in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;307895

    -- Disable Hibernation by following this procedure: Open Power
    Options in Control Panel (Category View: Performance and
    Maintenance), click the Hibernate tab, and then click to deselect
    the Enable hibernate support check box.

    And if you have another partition on the same hard drive, or
    another hard drive, you have these options:

    -- For a NTFS-formatted disk volume only, use mounted drives.
    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    Article:

    KB307889 - HOW TO: Create and Use NTFS Mounted Drives in
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;307889

    -- Relocate the pagefile, preferably to a second hard drive since
    placing it on a different partition on the same hard drive will
    decrease computer performance. And relocate the Print Spooler.
    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    Article:

    KB314105 - How to Move the Windows Default Paging File and Print
    Spooler to a Different Hard Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;314105

    Note 1: If the target partition is NTFS make certain that the
    System and Administrators accounts have the correct NTFS
    permissions. For more information see the following Microsoft
    Knowledge Base Article:

    KB315270 - Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the
    Paging File Is Too Small
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;315270

    Note 2: Completely removing the pagefile from the boot partition
    does not allow Windows to Write Debugging Information (create a
    crash dump file named memory.dmp) should a kernel mode STOP
    error. For more information see the following Microsoft
    Knowledge Base article. And to configure your computer so that
    it does not create a crash dump file search the Help and Support
    Center for the phrase: "To specify what Windows does if the
    system stops unexpectedly". Note that the aforementioned help
    topic does not tell you that there is a (none) option, but you
    can specify it by clicking the drop-down box under "Write
    Debugging Information".

    KB314482 - How to Configure Paging Files for Optimization and
    Recovery in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;314482

    -- If you are running Windows XP Indexing Service, change the
    location of the catalog.wci directory to another partition.
    NOTE: This will involve deleting the present catalog(s) and
    rebuilding from scratch. As such, you may want to document the
    current configuration before you delete the catalog(s). For more
    information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

    KB308202 - HOW TO Create and Configure a Catalog for Indexing
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=308202

    -- If you use the My Documents folder to store large amounts of
    data, change the default location to another partition. For more
    information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB310147 - How to Change the Default Location of the
    My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;310147

    -- If you are using Outlook Express and have a large message
    store, change the location of the Storage Folder to another
    partition. For more information search for the following Help
    topic: Outlook Express Help: "To change the location of your
    message store". For more information about earlier versions on
    Outlook Express see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    Article:

    KB175037 - OLEXP: How to Change the Default Location of
    Mail and News Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=175037

    Thanks to the following people whose suggestions posted in the
    microsoft.public.* newsgroups have been incorporated into this
    message:

    Torgeir Bakken - Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI
    Jerold Schulman - Windows: General MVP
    Dave Patrick - Microsoft MVP [Windows]

    One other suggestion is to move your documents to D and if you do not have
    enough space, uninstall a program taking up a lot of space and install it on
    the D drive (say D:\program files.

Configuration Partition Windows XP