Your question

Core i7 860 and 1066Mhz RAM

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Memory
Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2009 4:10:47 PM

What is the impact of pairing a Core i7 860 on a LGA1156 platform (which supports up to 1333Mhz memory) with 1066Mhz memory (assuming standard timings)? Will the 1066Mhz memory affect the speed of the CPU or other components sat on the motherboard (i.e. are the base clock rates linked)? Or is it purely the memory bandwidth that will be affected? If so, would the real-world performance degradation be noticeable?

More about : core 860 1066mhz ram

a b à CPUs
December 21, 2009 5:19:11 PM

Honestly, you would be very hard-pressed to notice the difference between 1066 and 1333.
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
December 21, 2009 5:20:29 PM

If you can some dedicated memory benchmarks, you'd detect a (small) difference. Otherwise? I wouldn't worry about it. Certainly nothing anyone would notice in Userland.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2009 5:45:52 PM

Depends on what you do with your computer to notice a speed benefit of higher frequency ram. Moreover lower frequency ram usually has better latency timings anyway so dont worry about it, unless you do some serious stuff with your computer which are very memory intensive than besides in benchmarks you wont notice a thing.
December 21, 2009 5:55:01 PM

Thanks, chaps, that helps a lot.

I'd come across a few memory benchmarks and although very few tests revealed any real difference I still wasn't sure whether the Core i7 860 itself would be crippled or not.

What I'm learning is that the integrated memory controller on the LGA1156 architecture disconnects the CPU speed from the memory clock speed (I think, is that right?). So the Core i7 860 would still perform at its best under 1066Mhz RAM, even in Turbo Boost modes (again, am I right?).

As for my usage, I do a fair amount of 3d rendering and this is all CPU-bound. Oh, and quite a lot of gaming ;)  which again doesn't seem to be affected a great deal.
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
December 21, 2009 6:25:50 PM

AndrewJBeard said:
...What I'm learning is that the integrated memory controller on the LGA1156 architecture disconnects the CPU speed from the memory clock speed (I think, is that right?). So the Core i7 860 would still perform at its best under 1066Mhz RAM, even in Turbo Boost modes (again, am I right?)...

Correct - The processor and memory are decoupled.
!