Looking to upgrade and turn an older system into a HTPC. I already have built a separate gaming rig so this pc will be used exclusively for directv/dvd/netflix. In putting this together I am considering the following mobo/cpu/memory combo:
1. Can I get by with the Sempron or should I be looking at a Regor? Regor is in my budget but I don't want to spend more than I have to for this (and there is a cheap Sempron/mobo combo on sale now at newegg).
2. Can I get by with 2gb of memory or do I need more?
3. I am assuiming that separate video card/sound cards are not needed if I pick this board?
4. If I should decide to buy a blu-ray player in the future have I covered for this with the above parts?
5. Any suggestions on matters that I have not considered would be greatly appreciated!
You should be fine with that set-up.
I know you said that you don't want to spend the extra for a Regor dual-core, but if you do, your system might last a little longer. Ultimately its up to you.
2GB is enough ram for an XP HTPC.
You are correct in your assumption about the onboard video/sound of the mobo, they will suffice.
A blu-ray player will work with the set-up (even if you keep the sempron).
All in all, the set-up you have planned should serve your purposes.