Cant overclock intel cpu with installed msi cyclone 4890

laaaap

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I was owner of ati saphire 4850 toxic and q6600...and overclocked cpu to 3,0ghz ...no problem

yesterday i bought intel Q9550 and msi cyclone 4890 ..

first thing is that i have to wait 10-15 sec for picture on monitor ..samsung t240hd..

than after pic is shown i go to bios, overclock cpu to 3.4 and exit bios...

cpu came back to 2.83 but if i put another vga card everything work ok ..cpu is 3.4ghz

vga 4890 card also work after win is booted ..just cpu is 2.83

booth card have been tested in booth pci-x ports ...same thing in each situation ..old work ok new dont allow overclock
i have latest bios ..
can someone see where is the problem here ???

when overclocking ..i don't raise voltage, just increase fsb and adjust frequency of corsair dominator ddr2.

laaaap

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
trust me ..this is not a problem of psu ....
i noticed another thing ...
when i connect the new cyclone msi card (after computer has booted oveclocked with old vga and properly shut down) ..it happened like an soft bios reset .... the computer turn on and of ...2-3 times like when changes in bios are made ...
the psu work stable and do same thing with 12 seagate 1.5tb connected and without them ...

i have also hp sas card for 8 sata disks but same thing is with or without it...but just confirm that voiltage has nothing to do with it ...

maby and bios fix for vga can handle this ... :S who know

something like that happen to me before but it wasn't graphic card in my case but instead it was my HDD. i solved this by changing certain setting in the bios and i can OC normally after that :D

Fduch

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

I test 4890 Cyclone on 5 motherboards and has similar problem (cpu overclock not work). The decision has not found. Whether is it the precondition for the reference in the service centre?

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I do believe that this might be an issue with all three (PSU) Mobo and Cmos battery... If this continues to happen to you the best option would be to update bios or change motherboard. Note just a point, look for a ATI update CCC software.. Don't use the disc..

G

well if you belive so, you're an idiot, theres a known issue with giga-byte motherboards and various settings with other boards that this card will provide booting chain error
if you will OC the CPU, memory rail is ok.. though

the mb wont boot properly and i have a ga-x48-ds5 board and a 1000watt psu and i have the problem
cant oc my cpu which is q6600, when i had sapphire 4870 toxic edition which was OC pretty well
everything was fine...

and i also tested overclocking software wise trough windows guess what its pretty stable so no theres no psu problem its just the compatibility issue...

good day