LG 18x IDE DVDRW
Enermax Silence 375 PSU
Standard Case

This is my new setup =

Intel Pentium E8500 3.16Ghz
4 Gb Kingston DDR2 1066
2x 640 Gb Sata WD 32Mb cache
Ati Radeon HD5870 1Gb DDR5
Asus Motherboard (still not sure but will be a deluxe model with at least 2 Pci-E16 for Xfire)
SB Live stays
new DVDRW burner, Sata
Antec 900 Gamer Case

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

Thats the PSU I would like to put in for the Xfire upgrade in future.

Will this be good considering the price, oh and it's canadian pricing?

More about : good power

a c 248 ) Power supply
December 21, 2009 5:47:28 PM

The Xion power supply leaves much to be desired. I had to do a little digging to find out who the manufacturer was. I had to dig even deeper to find any sort of technical review. I'll keep this short and simple. The power supply is a low budget, low quality psu of questionable performance and value.

The first sure sign of low quality was the warranty:

"Limited warranty 12 months for parts and 12 months for labor."

Obviously the company has no faith in it's product. High quality power supplies will come with a 5 year warranty. Some brand new psu's come with a 7 year warranty.

It went downhill from there. As the load increases the voltage on the +12 volt rails drop below acceptable limits. It's worse if temperatures rise. Those +12 volt rails supply power to the cpu and video cards.

This is definitely a situation where you get what you pay for.
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 22, 2009 4:12:02 AM

It only provides 45A on the 12V rail which would make it underpowered for a 750, it only provides 36W more power on its 12V rail than the corsair 550VX. For the 110 that you were going to spend on the 1kw unit you can get a corsair 750TX which will power the crossfire setup problem free and is know to be a high quality unit.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 22, 2009 5:23:12 AM

^5 +1 what hunter315 said.

Ultra was the first company to offer modular power supplies. Unfortunately they contracted a Chinese company known for low budget, low quality power supplies. True to form the quality was poor and Ultra had definite problems. Eventually Ultra switched to several other manufacturers. For the most part they now offer average power supplies.

BTW - I bought one of the first Ultra modular supplies to try and improve cable management. The first one arrived dead. Newegg was very good about replacing it. When I turned on the Ultra replacement there was a loud bang, a blue flash of light, and smoke. It scared the living daylights out of me. It's a wonder I didn't have a heart attack. I had my hand right on the psu when it happened. I kept looking at my hand to make sure the psu didn't fry my fingers. That's when I switched to Corsair.
a b ) Power supply
December 22, 2009 5:45:44 AM

well have you got the new stuff yet ? just a suggestion its not really feasible throwing money into an eol socket i would rather look into the 1156 /1366/am3 area
December 27, 2009 7:03:03 PM

well I was considering i7 920 instead, and I wanted originally to go with an OCZ 700 Watt PSU, but figured I can save some money to put towards better CPU or Mobo...., haven't put anything together yet, buying in parts and getting things less important. (Burner, Ram, Case, HD)
a b ) Power supply
December 27, 2009 7:24:06 PM

the i5 costs $10 more then the e8500 there are some excellent p55 boards round the $160 mark and the price difference between ddr2 and ddr3 is insinificant these days
!