Sign in with
Your question

Non-conductive surface

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2009 2:10:28 AM

In the sticky top thread entitled , somebody wrote:

"The easiest way to install the push-pins is outside the case sitting on a non-conductive surface like the motherboard box"

Do you mean the literal cardboard box that the motherboard came in? So I can just put my motherboard on top of that cardboard box, and then turn the power on, and the motherboard and computer will run without a case?

(I'm sorry for asking such a basic question, but I was dumb and fried my last motherboard because I didn't know you had to install standoffs. So I want to make sure I don't waste a lot of money again. Assuming I'm successful, this will be my first home build. )

I was told that a wooden kitchen cutting board will also work for powering-on the motherboard, but I don't have one big enough for my motherboard. I just want you to tell me if the motherboard cardboard box is an alternative option running the computer.

More about : conductive surface

a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2009 2:47:48 AM

yes you can run the computer on a cardboard box just don't' knock it over. Wood a towel or any other thing that doesn't conduct will suffice you got in trouble last time because a case is made out of metal and you shorted those hundreds of of little wires sticking out the back.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2009 2:49:41 AM

Yes it is an option, but make sure the box doesn't have any plastic on it, as that would melt to the mobo. Are you using this as a long term solution, or a test set-up?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2009 4:45:04 AM

Yes, as long as nothing can short out the pins/solder on the back of the MB, it should be fine. You see benchmarking rigs run outside cases all the time. However, I must admit I have never done this. It may be better just to carefully install the MB in the case then start it up. If you have any questions/problems you could always come ask us for help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 236 V Motherboard
October 4, 2009 1:55:52 PM

I agree with EXT64....

I put my PC together on my kitchen table (wood) than move it to my desk to startup. I built one on carpet (I'm crazy like that) once before. I just had to make sure to ground myself against the case from time to time to remove static.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2009 2:01:26 PM

thank god for wood floors, my whole place has wood flooring
m
l
October 4, 2009 3:33:38 PM

I agree with EXT64 and Tecmo34

Go ahead and build it in your case first... just be sure to use the stand-offs this time ;-)

Only do the breadboarding (I thiiink that's the technical term for hooking up your mobo on a non-conductive surface) if you have to troubleshoot a malfunctioning board. Chances are you won't have to, and you'll save some time/hassle.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2009 6:37:48 PM

breadboards are generic prefab circuit boards used to test circuit design before you etch a custom board. Although many people will leave there projects ona breadboard to save the hassle of etching a board.
m
l
October 10, 2009 4:37:43 PM

aw hell... it sounds like it should be the term
m
l
!