Laptop acts normally until random freeze

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hello there again!

I'm a student at a school which provides it's pupils with a laptop for our academic work. We have almost full access to it and there's no restrictions matter where or when we are allowed to use them.

After our summer vacation as we started school again, we had to bring our laptops for our teachers to see that everybody still has them. As I booted my system up, everything worked quite well but eventually it just hung up without any bluescreen or error report. The system did not respond to any input signal and it had to be turned off either by holding the Power button or by pulling the battery out.

I can't figure out why this happened, as it has been working perfectly for almost a year. Last time I used it was about 2 months ago down the garage for music purpose only.

No physical damage has been caaused to it except for one time about 9-10 months ago. Then I dropped it and the smash against the floor caused the battery lock to break and a piece of the chassis to be loose. Yet, both problems was solved with some duct tape and the system worked perfectly after that aswell.

Any ideas?
Thanks! :)

inerax

Distinguished
same thing happened to my laptop. turned out to be a ram chip.

Pull out all ram chips but 1. If it keeps happening, replace that 1 ram chip with another.

i would also download pz wizard. make sure nothing is over heating.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I can now tell that the system works during a test which was implemented in the computer. It seems like Windows is crashing, yet I do not have permission to format the system. Could a restore to an earlier point solve this?

restore to an earlier point may or may not help--but sometimes you will just get your computer cannot be restored message--system restore isnt 100% reliable--but if it restores ok and doesnt solve the problem just go to system restore and pick undo last restore to go back where you started from