Computer not POSTing After Overclock and problems after presets

pacmanandre

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello,

I tried to overclock my computer to 4.0GHz. After the failed attempt it wouldn't post. I reset the CMOS and took out the battery then unplugged the power supply and waiting a little. It finally let me into the BIOS. After that, I told the computer to reset everything to default settings.

Now even after the Overclocking attempt, the computer is slightly unstable. Even though it is able to boot, I get BSOD's in Windows and it may even freeze while loading up Windows 7.

Im not sure whatsup with that. Do I have to leave the computer off for a longer period of time or something to let the electricity drain from the board or something before it goes back to normal?

The BSOD will have a Code (something like 0x000000101), we need to know what that code is as it tells us what is causing the bluescreen, if your PC restarts before you are able to note down the code then go to Start > Computer > System Properties > Advanced System Settings > Start up and recovery settings > Untick Automatically restart.

Also you may want to go into the BIOS again and check that all the settings are at what they should be, it could be that when you reset to default settings it may not have configured your memory voltage and timings correctly.

Overclocking is only to be done when you can afford to replace all the components that can fry when overclocking. It can be very risky to do it if you don't know what you are doing. That is why they say to always do it in small increments.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
When you reset your BIOS to default it may have changed the SATA Operation from ATA -> ACHI or ACHI-> ATA.... that can cause boot issues as well as BSOD's while loading windows... please verify it is set to the right setting... or change it to the other setting and try booting.

pacmanandre

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Alright, so now Im struggling to even get into windows because it freezes on loadup for Windows and etc. Hopefully after a few tries I can get into Windows and use OCCT then get a BSOD code.

Also, my specs are
750 Watt Coolermaster GX PSU
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Coolermaster N520 Cooler (Cooler is ensuring the CPU is cool, so overheating is definately not a problem)
Powercolor Radeon HD 6850
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB HD
2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Ram

And when you reset everything, shouldn't it go back to factory default settings? Because when I first built my computer, I never had any problems like what I have now and the hardware hasnt changed.

pacmanandre

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
SO i managed to get into Windows after multiple attempts of taking out the CPU, swapping around the ram, resetting CMOS and taking in and out the battery. Then it eventually booted in windows on 1 stick of ram. I then ran OCCT with CPU at 100% and RAM pretty high also (around 73% - I had to use small data set as opposed to large data set because of limited ram since there is only 2GB in now.)
Anyways, the computer just froze during the OCCT test. No BSOD this time.

That froze can means RAM problem, did you change something?

pacmanandre

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
So I did it again and managed to get a BSOD this time. And when i restarted Windows 7 it told me its recovering from the crash and Icopied the error message it gave which is below.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000006F8
BCP4: FFFFF800030E1C96
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

pacmanandre

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

I believe the problem may be the ram. After the last BSOD, the computer fails to post now even though I changed both ram stick in slot A1 and B1 both. (One at a time). During every time I tried to boot, it didn't post. However, the Dram light would flash long and slow and stop long and slow without me pressing the MemOK.

I then tried the A2 and B2 slots. When I did this, I got the solid ram light. I pressed MemOK. It did its process then failed and went back to the solid RAM light.

Furthermore, when the computer is able to post and get into Memtest, it has given multiple errors. It has even frozen in the process.

As a result, I've ordered 2 4GB sticks of Newegg. Hopefully when they come, they will end my computer woes.

1) The error x024 means a problem with your PCI-E frequency, did you changed something there?
2) The 7E error means driver problems, maybe for the x024 error
3) The FE error means an USB driver problem, solve the two above in 1st place and this can change alone.

TRENDING THREADS