Sign in with
Your question

New build/no cpu: Case turns on/off every few seconds

Last response: in Components
December 21, 2009 6:15:16 PM

Hi... Quick question: I am building a new PC and currently I have all components except a CPU and a video card. When I connect the motherboard to the power supply and I press the power button, the lights on the motherboard (and the case fans) briefly turn on - and then off again. Then 1-2 seconds later the same pattern. Is this normal behavior if there's no CPU installed or is there something else I should be concerned about?

Thanks so much...

Edit: currently the motherboard is not in the case: the power supply is directly connected to the motherboard with the only other connection being the power button connector
a b ) Power supply
a c 113 à CPUs
a c 233 V Motherboard
December 21, 2009 7:08:13 PM

Why don't you install a CPU and a video card (even an old PCI video card will do)? You can't expect the system to behave normally without at least a CPU and you can't tell if it POST without a video card.
m
l
December 21, 2009 7:41:02 PM

GhislainG said:
Why don't you install a CPU and a video card (even an old PCI video card will do)? You can't expect the system to behave normally without at least a CPU and you can't tell if it POST without a video card.

I don't have those components yet :)  I just wanted to do a basic check of the case, power supply and motherboard. When I build my last computer back in 2004, the motherboard always powered up, regardless if there's a CPU/video card or not. This is just weird behavior: switching off and on and off and on, etc
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 113 à CPUs
a c 233 V Motherboard
December 21, 2009 7:45:06 PM

The behaviour depends on the motherboard, but you can't test it without a CPU, memory and video card. Even if power stays on, that doesn't prove anything. The only good sign is a successful POST.
m
l
!