1.5v RAM running at 1.529v

mooncode

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey everyone, I just have a quick question in regards to my RAM voltage. I recently just finished putting my build together and noticed that my ram which is rated at 1.5v was running a bit over into 1.529v. Is going over by that amount too much or is it safe? Should i go into the BIOS and change the RAM voltage to be 1.5v on the dot? Thanks for the advice ! :wahoo:

My ram --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

Solution
The memory voltage is fine, it won't cause an issue. Motherboards can vary in voltages by a bit and yours is well within specs for the ram.
1) a 2% diviation is acceptable. While you could reduce it, it is not problem.

What program are you using to provide Ram Voltage, and have you tried a 2nd program? Does your Bios provide a reading for Dimm voltage?

All the MBs I've used have been spot on for dimm voltage.

Have you run a memory test on the ram? Can download a bootable ISO for memtest86. Under windows I'd recommend downloading prime 95 and run the Blend test which tests both CPU and ram (blend = default" mode).

mooncode

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hey guys and thanks for the replies :D I was using Asrock Extreme Tuning Utility to get the voltage readings. I just rechecked the BIOS settings to see if i could possibly change it to 1.5 but it only had options for 1.499 and 1.529 :heink: So I guess i'll just leave it at 1.529. I tried using HW Monitor to see if i could check the voltage there but I didn't see a reading for ram...just VIN1, VIN4, AVCC etc.

Edit: Is it possible that hw monitor is giving incorrect readings because I don't see any voltages near 1.5 to indicate that it would be the ram voltage. I have 1.529v set in BIOS and the asrock utility repots 1.529 so i dunno

23qxmw1.png

In fact there is only a couple of voltages that look correct
Vcore, Vin6(CPU), and AVCC(+3.3V).
Vin1 should be Dimm, 3VCC, Vin4 & 5 probably should be the +5, +12, and +5 VCCH (or +5 for usb).
Wish HWMonitor would update there programs a little more often as I like the program but voltage for my Azrock Z68 are hosed, for my Gigabyte MB the +12 shows up as -12V and the +5 for USB is toast.

Added: Your HWMonitor displays about the same as My Asrock Z68 Extreme4 for voltages.

Also noted,
Depending on your room temperatures and if the temps you are displaying are at Idle; while not a problem I would recommend checking them under load. IE run Prime 95 which will check sytem stability. NOTE prime 95 will heat up CPU more than say gaming for a couple of hours.

My CPU temps (The four cores) were 22C->26C. My room temperature was 18C and I use a aftermarket HSF. I5-2500k @ 4.2 (Note At Idle my cpu is only at 1.6 GHz)