Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can I overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 6:22:24 AM

I'm planning to buy fx 8120 and overclock it (3.7-4ghz), with haf 912 & CM hyper212+(With dual fans).

The major concern is Climate. The temp. during hottest days goes upto 40'C ! :fou:  & for most of the days the maximum avg. temp. is around 28-34'C.

Hence, I was wondering if overclocking is possible or not.

More about : overclock

a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 6:38:48 AM

I want to say yes but I haven't used the 212 and your ambients are pretty high. I get great cooling with the rosewill Thor V2 case. I think better than the haf and you may want to consider a beefier air cooler as the 212 is in the middle. I have a zalman tower cooler that takes 2 140mm fans. your target overclock isn't very high though so it may be OK. let others weight in on it
January 10, 2012 6:51:59 AM

On a FX 8120 a 3.7-4.0Ghz isnt way high so maybe you can overclock but you will have to get a better case and air cooler (maybe consider water cooling?) :) 
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 11:06:38 AM

johanvheerden said:
On a FX 8120 a 3.7-4.0Ghz isnt way high so maybe you can overclock but you will have to get a better case and air cooler (maybe consider water cooling?) :) 


My thoughts exactly! :) 

Well... If I push my budget a little and get the "Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid Cooling System", then, can I get a stable (cool) 4 - 4.2ghz Overclock?

a c 126 K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 11:22:03 AM

I expect you'd be able to get such an overclock with stock voltage or a very minimal bump in voltage, as such I expect the Hyper 212 would be enough to keep the temps in check, if you already have the Hyper 212 then atleast overclock your CPU and see what the temps are like before splashing out on a new cooler or case.
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 12:48:28 PM

As I mentioned, that I'm planning to buy a fx 8120. I've read that these fx chips are really good at overclocking, hence I was planning to buy a hyper212+ and overclock it.
But my major concern was that with such high room temperature, can the hyper 212+ & a good case (e.g. haf 912 or cm 690 ii)keep the cpu below 55'C(or max temp.) under full load.
a c 126 K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 12:54:31 PM

Ok well if your set on buying a 8120 then buy it, overclock with your Hyper212, if your temps are to high then either lower the overclock or buy a new cooler.

You stand a chance of wasting money if you buy a better cooler before knowing if your Hyper 212 is good enough or not.
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 1:03:08 PM

Rustyy117 said:

You stand a chance of wasting money if you buy a better cooler before knowing if your Hyper 212 is good enough or not.


I don't like the sound of that :D  But you are right.

Should I just buy 8150 and forget about overclocking?


P.S. - I'm buying this new CPU for 3d modeling & a decent amount of gaming. I will be running multiple softwares simultaneously for long hours.
a c 126 K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 1:09:14 PM

I love my 3930K for 3D modelling. If thats out of budget then the Intel core i7 2600K/2500K or 8150 are good choices, although the intel CPU's seem alittle stronger in games.

Do you already have the motherboard and RAM? if not what is your budget?
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2012 3:16:30 PM

The i7 2600k is great but a little out of budget :(  & I want the AMD experience this time :D 

a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2012 6:38:59 AM

After more research .... I've decided to get the noctua nh d14, with the target overclock 4.5 - 5.0ghz(most probably 4.6ghz :) )

Now my question is :
1) With high room temperature(Worst case scenario, 30-35'C), is a water cooling system a better option than air cooling?

2) Can the Asus M5A99x Evo or Biostar 990Fxe, get me the respective/target overclock?

3) I'll be getting 2x 8gb kits Gskill sniper 1600mhz, Will it cause any conflicts/problems while overclocking?

:) 
a c 126 K Overclocking
January 21, 2012 9:25:25 AM

1) Watercooling is just more effective at removing heat from the heat source, the ambient temp effects watercooling in exactly the same way as air cooling.

Watercooling still relies solely on air passing through the radiator, if that air is warmer then it'll be less effective at removing heat, just like air passing through a normal air heatsink.

2) I'd choose the Biostar 990FXE as it has a good power phase design, though both should get you to 4.6Ghz providing your CPU is capable.

3) That RAM will be perfectly fine

:) 
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2012 10:46:40 AM

Rustyy117 said:
1) Watercooling is just more effective at removing heat from the heat source, the ambient temp effects watercooling in exactly the same way as air cooling.

Watercooling still relies solely on air passing through the radiator, if that air is warmer then it'll be less effective at removing heat, just like air passing through a normal air heatsink.

2) I'd choose the Biostar 990FXE as it has a good power phase design, though both should get you to 4.6Ghz providing your CPU is capable.

3) That RAM will be perfectly fine

:) 


Thanks a lot man! :) 
!