Sign in with
Your question

To wait or not to wait? Advice on build and gpu/display

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2009 1:56:33 PM

Hello all :hello: 

Every 3-4 years, I do a major overhaul on my comp, changing out pretty much everything. This year marks that anniversary of change and I thankfully have this community to look to for advice. My system is pretty much all picked out, but the most critical part (to me) that remains is of course the video card.

I know that hardware always changes, usually every 6-8 months. But why is it every time I want to do a major overhaul, I always end up doing so in the interim between new OS/DirectX introductions? The last time was when DX10/Vista/Crysis was introduced in 06' and I was in the same bind then about getting a high end cheap dx9 card or future proofing myself and picking up a more expensive DX10 capable one. Before that it was XP/DX8/Doom3/Half Life 2, before that...well you know how it goes.

Now with the advent of Win7 and DX11 cards in the near future, should I wait it out or should I capitalize on a couple of cheap DX10 cards in SLI or hold out for the G300 series because they will be dx11 compatible.

The huge caveat to this is that I don't plan on buying this computer until 6 months from now in March of 2010, so I know that alot of my components will be lower in price giving me that much more $$ to spend on an (expensive) DX11 card, but at the same time, I'm sure buying 2X 275 or 285 will be much more affordable and feasible by then. What to do?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In 6 months (I'm budgeting my money now just for this upgrade.)

BUDGET RANGE: ~ $2000 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, watching movies, drawing, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard (for now I have 5 year old wireless microsoft multimedia keyboard that I'm looking to replace with a logitech g19 in the future), mouse (microsoft SideWinder K7A, the best gaming mouse I've ever used), case (antec 1200 750 black steel atx full tower case), soundcard (an X-Fi extreme gamer fatality edition pci card), and optical drives (2 dvd burners). I'm also keeping my 8800gts as a dedicated PhysX card once I upgrade.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com #1 pick (can't beat their service) but I'm not adverse to Tigerdirect.com for deals either.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia Cards only please because I plan on getting a pair of 3D glasses shortly after my upgrade

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, but only in the future, like a year down the line

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM Until SSD's come down from being $3/gig, I'm gonna stick with this for my gaming and application needs.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM This drive is purely for storing my media( music, movies, anime, pictures, etc.)

Western Digital Elements 1.5TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDE1UBK15000N - Retail The reason why I don't wanna go raid 1 with 2 of the internal 1TB drives is because a) I want to be able to back up everything in both drives to one location, b) I like having a drive which I can move easily between different systems without opening up my case, and c) I can do without the extra heat generated by an additional drive in the case while OC'ing.

Swiftech H20-220 Compact CPU Water Cooling Kit - Retail I fell in love with this product after reading about it in the latest SBM and I really want to push the OC'ing while reducing the noise in my case as much as possible while staying in budget. Besides this will be my first water cooling experience and it's the first solution that has not terrified me into having to mod my case and what not.

TRITTON AX51 Pro 5.1 True Surround Sound Headset WITH 8 PRECISION SPEAKERS, DESIGNED for PC – 3.5mm Analog Input I've a got a great sound card and it sounded great on my 5 year old 7.1 creative setup, but with a baby in the house now and game time limited to nights, this seemed like the best solution for the price/comfort/performance ratio.

ViewSonic X Series VX2265wm Black 22" 3ms 120Hz 3D Ready Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 - Retail Pure 120Hz, 3D vision ready I picked this monitor solely because it was 120 hz and 3d ready. I do hope that once I have the money all saved up for my rig, that more 120hz monitors will be available at larger sizes and cheaper prices.

EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
The card I would buy today if I was to start buying today, I hope when the G300 series arrives, this drops about $100 making an instant SLI purchase affordable, but sadly my crystal ball is on RMA...

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I know that prices will only get lower when the new class of gpus hit. But I'm curious as to what the community thinks of my build and if any suggestions/replacements can be made. I currently have a card picked out that i want, but again, its not permanent. And if I wasn't so enamored with the whole 3Dvision thing, I would have already chosen an ATi card based on value/performance ratio alone. Thank you in advance

-Razor Kid
October 4, 2009 1:58:14 PM

the samsung f3 jus as fast as the velociraptor
October 4, 2009 2:09:39 PM

obsidian86 said:
the samsung f3 jus as fast as the velociraptor

What are it's benefits over the velociraptor? Price? Storage amount?

Just curious :) 
!