Sign in with
Your question

Toshiba Doesn't Allow Hard Drive Reviews?

Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2011 10:30:35 PM

I e-mailed a competing tech-blog site that does reviews on storage drives asking them to review the Toshiba 1tb 9.5mm notebook drive and I received the following response:

"Toshiba does not allow their drives to be reviewed."

What? Is this true? That makes no sense! Then how does Tomshardware review Toshiba drives if Toshiba doesn't allow it?

Does anyone know the contact info for Tomshardware? I wan't to ask them if they can review the new Toshiba MQ01ABD100
a c 353 G Storage
August 11, 2011 12:35:09 AM

There is no way Tosibia can prevent a 3rd party from going out and buying a Toshibia HDD and evaluating it and writing his findings. Now they may not provide a "Free" drive to be evaluated.
m
l
August 11, 2011 6:06:35 AM

RetiredChief said:
There is no way Tosibia can prevent a 3rd party from going out and buying a Toshibia HDD and evaluating it and writing his findings. Now they may not provide a "Free" drive to be evaluated.

That's exactly what I thought, how the heck can Toshiba prevent someone from doing a review on a product. I too thought, well maybe the guys at storagereview meant they don't get free drives from them, but then the wording of their response clearly said Toshiba doesn't allow reviews. Makes absolutely no sense. Now I'm wondering how credible storagereview actually is.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2011 5:36:35 PM

No company is going to give free advertisement for Toshiba unless Toshiba provides them a free drive to keep.

m
l
August 11, 2011 6:39:02 PM

sunsetsky said:
Now I'm wondering how credible storagereview actually is.

Maybe the guy who answered was sleepy? Everything is not black and white all the time.
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:45:42 AM

geekapproved said:
No company is going to give free advertisement for Toshiba unless Toshiba provides them a free drive to keep.

That is understandable, but it also makes me question the validity of storagereview.com's reviews.

If they strictly only review products from companies who send them free stuff, to me that sounds biased.

I would think, if you are a site that specializes in storage reviews, you would once in a while bite the bullet and purchase a product yourself to review if the company doesn't send it to you for free. How else can you justify your hard drive reviews, if you aren't comparing with the competition, but instead only comparing with those who send you stuff for free. If in fact they only review items sent to them for free, then they lost all credibility in my book.
m
l
August 15, 2011 6:43:16 PM

sunsetsky said:
I e-mailed a competing tech-blog site that does reviews on storage drives asking them to review the Toshiba 1tb 9.5mm notebook drive and I received the following response:

"Toshiba does not allow their drives to be reviewed."

What? Is this true? That makes no sense! Then how does Tomshardware review Toshiba drives if Toshiba doesn't allow it?

Does anyone know the contact info for Tomshardware? I wan't to ask them if they can review the new Toshiba MQ01ABD100

Toshiba does allow their hard drives to be reviewed.
m
l
August 15, 2011 9:55:26 PM

Storagereview.com is a total joke.

I decided to email them back, and call them on their bullshit. I basically told them I don't believe that Toshiba would forbid a tech-blog from reviewing their products, even if the reviewer purchased the item themselves.

They replied saying:

"they just won't send one to us. We could buy and review if so inclined."

WOW, I'm never visiting storagereview.com ever again. Basically, first he said Toshiba doesn't allow their drives to be reviewed, which we now know is false. Storagereview just want's free stuff, and won't review products if it means they have to purchase it. Ya sometimes you have to send the product back after a review, but hell, if they don't want to spend any cash, and just want to review free products, then maybe I should get into the review business too. Open up a site, get free stuff, review it, send it back to the company, then collect advertisment dollars. Not a bad business. See, I would never do that though, cause I would want my site to be real, and that would mean having to spend cash on products when I don't get them for free. Apparently storagereview wants a free for all.

I understand the blog sites get stuff for free, but come on, if you are going to be a reputable site, and you are going to build a database of hard drive reviews to be able to accurately compare all drives accurately, then you should once in a while spend some cash to purchase products on your own, otherwise I can't trust your reviews.They call themselves storagereview, lol.

What a joke, "if so inclined?" Oh shut up!

Should have known not to sway from tomshardware.com. For nearly 15 yrs now, Tomshardware has been my to go place for reviews, and their is a reason why, Toms can be trusted!

p.s. He could have just been honest from the start and said, "Hey, Toshiba doesn't send us free drives and we can't afford to purchase one right now." I would totally understand. But Don't lie to me and say Toshiba doesn't allow reviews. LOL
m
l
August 17, 2011 4:07:19 PM

Holy Moly... sunsetsky, I think you've added a good deal of personal interpretation to your posts based on my emails. Toshiba has never sent us a drive to review. We have not bought their drives for review, nothing is stopping us from doing that. On the other hand WD, Hitachi, Samsung, etc send us drives to review, some we keep in the lab, some we give away and some have to be sent back. That's how the review process generally works, though each site does it differently. To be fair, Toshiba's reps indicate they plan on starting a review program, which I hope they do, we'd love to have more drives in the lab.
m
l
August 18, 2011 12:05:43 AM

StorageReview said:
Holy Moly... sunsetsky, I think you've added a good deal of personal interpretation to your posts based on my emails. Toshiba has never sent us a drive to review. We have not bought their drives for review, nothing is stopping us from doing that. On the other hand WD, Hitachi, Samsung, etc send us drives to review, some we keep in the lab, some we give away and some have to be sent back. That's how the review process generally works, though each site does it differently. To be fair, Toshiba's reps indicate they plan on starting a review program, which I hope they do, we'd love to have more drives in the lab.

Storagereview this is you?

I haven't made anything up, the first e-mail you sent me was exactly as quoted in the first post. You specifically said Toshiba doesn't allow their drives to be reviewed. I guess what you really meant to say is that Toshiba doesn't send out free drives for review.

You just really sent me for a huge loop by the way you worded your email. For the life of me, I couldn't believe Toshiba would not allow reviews of their products.

Either way, no worries and no hard feelings. Sometimes wording in e-mails can be interpreted different than intended.

So back to this drive, maybe after all this drama you can decide to review it after all?

m
l
August 18, 2011 12:22:53 AM

ToshibaStorage said:
Toshiba does allow their hard drives to be reviewed.

ToshibaStorage can you please send StorageReview or Tom's the notebook drive above for them to review please.

By the way, I love your notebook drives. I've owned several of them over the years, always very quiet, fast, long battery life, reliable, and best of all, virtually VIBRATION FREE!
m
l
August 18, 2011 12:59:38 PM

sunsetsky said:
Storagereview this is you?

I haven't made anything up, the first e-mail you sent me was exactly as quoted in the first post. You specifically said Toshiba doesn't allow their drives to be reviewed. I guess what you really meant to say is that Toshiba doesn't send out free drives for review.

You just really sent me for a huge loop by the way you worded your email. For the life of me, I couldn't believe Toshiba would not allow reviews of their products.

Either way, no worries and no hard feelings. Sometimes wording in e-mails can be interpreted different than intended.

So back to this drive, maybe after all this drama you can decide to review it after all?

As I said, Toshiba seems ready to restart a drive review program, as soon as they start sending them, we'll start reviewing.
m
l
!