Solved

AMD CPU upgrade

I have just purchased an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition. I upgraded from a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400. I have an:

Asus VISTA Premium motherboard
EVGA 8800 GTS
8 BG ram
I am running 7 / 64

I have upgraded the processor and believe my system may be running a little slower. Currently I am not over-clocking. Other then replacing the CPU is there anything else I need to do. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade
  1. Maybe the best thing to elaborate is that "ASUS Vista Premium motherboard" that you have. Could you give the specific model of that?
  2. you might need to update the MB bios.
  3. Best answer
    You probably didn't update your BIOS before hand. If that's the case you're lucky it POSTs in the first place :D.
  4. Oops, You are absolutely correct. The system was built by my son a year ago and he used the M2N32-SLI Premium VISTA Edition motherboard. It has an AM2 socket. He is currently running Microsoft's 7, the 64 bit version. Prior to that he was running VISTA x86. I checked the asus website and there are 13 BIOS updates. One of them actually addresses the slot issue to make it AM2+ compatible. There is also a new flash tool. I believe this should fix his problem and his system should run smoothly once again. I only hope that he sees some bang for the money he has invested in the new cpu.
  5. I am sorry, I forgot to say thank you for all of the help and the quick replies. I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday.
  6. MichaelP said:
    Oops, You are absolutely correct. The system was built by my son a year ago and he used the M2N32-SLI Premium VISTA Edition motherboard. It has an AM2 socket. He is currently running Microsoft's 7, the 64 bit version. Prior to that he was running VISTA x86. I checked the asus website and there are 13 BIOS updates. One of them actually addresses the slot issue to make it AM2+ compatible. There is also a new flash tool. I believe this should fix his problem and his system should run smoothly once again. I only hope that he sees some bang for the money he has invested in the new cpu.

Well if this is the board that he has, he cannot install a 965 due to it is AM2 only.

ASUS M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131163

The latest Bios will only let him install AM2+ x2's/x3's and x4's. The 965 is AM3 :(

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2N32-SLI%20Premium%20VISTA%20Edition
  7. Final Update, We updated the BIOS this afternoon and my son's computer is once again screaming. The BIOS update apparently fixed other issues sinc his update to Seven 64. I was also incorrect about the cpu it was a 3 ghz. that was compatible with his motherboard. Once again thanks for all the help.
  8. Yea, I figured it was a 940 AM2+ ......

Anyways let us know if he encounters any other issues....
  9. Thanks again for all of the help and Happy New Year to all.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows Vista AMD