Severe computer freeze.. please help

deme87

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I built a system consisting of the following:
1. Intel Core i7 860 CPU [2.8GHz, Retail, Socket 1156] - BX80605I7860, Nehalem Core
2. ASUS P7P55D PRO MOTHERBOARD P55 1156 - ASUS P7P55D PRO MOTHERBOARD P55 1156
3. Corsair 4GB XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz Kit
4. 1Tb Western Digital Green Power SATA2 Hard Drive 32MB - WD10EADS, 1000GB, 32 MB Cache, SATA 3 Gb/s
5. OCZ 600W ModXStream PRO Modular Power Supply
6. GAINWARD GTX260 896MB GS - GeForce® GTX260 896MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA, GOLDEN SAMPLE

Here it goes.. When i first boot up the system with DRAM at 1.65v it would run for 10 minutes then completely freeze. Later i increased the DRAM voltage to 1.8v and it would perfectly run for around 3 months. Then suddenly it would continuously freeze and unfreeze every 5 minutes. I tried many DRAM voltages, timings, QPI voltages, ram frequency with no success. I tried using the memory modules one by one still the same proble. I updated the bios still the same problem. I took it to a technician he said he cant figure it out! I really dont know what could be wrong!! Please if someone has a solution i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

deme87

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I know but it was the only way to make the system stable! Any ideas on what the defective part could be?

Freezing problems are often caused by RAM, GPU, or PSU failure. A distant fourth cause would be incompatible/conflicting software. Considering that you've already tested each RAM individually, and in different DIMMs too, I imagine, try the following:

1. download MemTest86+ from memtest.org, burn the iso to cd and run the test overnight.
2. download prime95 to stress test your computer. If your computer can't handle the load, you'll find out with this test.
3. download HWmonitor to watch your system temps and fan speeds while Prime95 is doing its thing.
4. Try a different GPU (borrow one from a friend, but don't buy one just to test)
5. Try a different PSU (borrow one, don't buy one)

deme87

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Thanks a lot for the reply. Is it possible though not to be the ram that is causing the problem? Because it used to work with a higher voltage before. And everytime i changed the ram settings i would see different results? could the PSU be affected by the RAM voltage?

Thanks

At this point, anything is possible since you haven't really tested anything yet. RAM is always the favorite suspect when it comes to boot failure problems. Testing your RAM will help you determine if there are any problems with it.

Keep in mind though, what EXT64 mentioned, Intel states that using a voltage higher than 1.65 can damage your CPU. Chances are that your CPU is still good, because you were able to boot into Windows. But three months at 1.8 v is a little scary.