alexncl

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hello all. i have a cpu meter on my desktop and when i open a program it get to max (100%) and im not sure why, e.g i use a program called VIRTUAL DJ and when i load a song onto the deck it takes an age to load. i have looked on the net and seen videos on youtube to see if i can find out why and im getting loads of help but still cant sort it out. people say its my processer and others say i need more ram. im looking at an upgrade soon but money is tight at the moment so trying to find out if i need a new processer or more ram. im a gamer and have just upgraded my gfx card and am getting a stupid fps (its all over the place) hope you can help ..... system....
AMD Dual core 64 x2 5000+
2 gig of ram (2x 1gig)
nvidia 9400gt (gfx card)
windows xp (home)

not sure what else you need but please just ask

thankyou for reading and hope you can help....

alexncl

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

its the same there maxed out. if i do a test over 10 min's and look back at history its in the 80%/100%. i have tryed to run many things at the same time but my computer stop's then ill get a few sec's were the cpu speed drops to about 20% then back up to max ???????

sayantan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Well I have also used virtual DJ and it does uses 100% CPU while loading the song in its decks...so 100% cpu use is not really a problem but it should take at max 30seconds to load a 5MB mp3 song on its deck...and if you are a gamer and use 9400gt to play the current games then what hope do you have except playing them at stupid fps...I feel 9400gt is too backdated to play the current games..you must upgrade it to at least 9600gt or above..your cpu is ok but your gpu really sucks...

Chino74

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
I was having same issue with mine. Virtual DJ would use 100% of cpu thus freezing the computer. It has something to do with, I believe video hardware, because I would use program in full screen and it would freeze, but as soon as I clicked and changed it to where it wouldn't take up the full screen, it would go away. And I don't think age of computer has anything to do with it cause I have a 2002 HP Pavilion with Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz 400FSB XP....and the program works flawless unless I run it in full screen as mentioned earlier.

It sounds like this Viritual DJ program is a resource hog.

Here are the system requirements from their website:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

The minimum requirement to run Virtual DJ is:

* PIII 850 MhZ computer
* 1024x768 SVGA video
* DirectX compatible soundcard
* 512 MB RAM
* 20 MB free on the hard-drive

RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS

The recommended configuration is:

* PIV 3 GhZ computer
* 1024x768 SVGA video
* 4.1 DirectX compatible soundcard (with front and rear separate outputs)
* 1024 MB RAM
* 200 MB free on the hard-drive

RECOMMENDED VIDEO MIXING REQUIREMENTS

The recommended configuration to mix video is:

* Dual Core 2 GhZ CPU
* dual output ATI or nVidia video card with 1Gb of on-board memory (no integrated laptop videocard)
* 2048 MB RAM

Based on the fact that they recommend a 1GB video card, there must be some kind of 3D graphical interface happening with this program. If it's trying to use larges amounts of graphics RAM and you don't have it, you're going to have a lot of caching going on between the video card and hard disk. That all has to pass through the CPU.

Now, if you're also finding that your graphics performance is suffering after an upgrade, you may want to look into two things:

1) Install the latest nVidia graphics drivers for your system.

ForceWare 195.62 Drivers for GeForce 9 Series GPUs on Windows XP
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_195.62_whql.html

2) Check CPU & GPU temperatures to make sure you're not having issues there.