Could Cooler Master Hyper 212 be a downgrade vs Stock cooler?

Phooka13

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hi,
I just got a i7 2600k and I'm OC'ed @ 4.5GHz on a Asus p8z68-v PRO gen 3 Motherboard. I'm going to pick up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 today but I'm worried that my CPU temp might go up. I know it sounds ridiculous but with the stock cooler i'm getting 30c Idle and 60c Full load CPU temps after 3+ hours of gaming (individual CPU cores are about 10c more per core). I've read that some people are getting the same idle/full load temps with the 212 cooler OC'd at lower setting. Is there a possibility that I'll get higher CPU temps with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler?

I've got decent ventilation using a Rosewill "gaming" case which has 3 fans in it (front, back, top). My MSI 560 TI Frozr II video card supposedly runs cooler than other video cards due to it's heat sinks and large fans. The PSU is bottom mounted and has two fans in it.

Additional notes: It is "winter" right now in California and I live near the beach.

Thank you.
:pt1cable:

Solution
While prime95 will push your temps higher than gaming, your setup must allow for the Higher temps as Prime 95 is a MUST for checking the stability of your OC, and you have to run it for 4 hours min, 6->8hrs recommended.

The Stock is HSF is NOT recommended for OCing, personally I DO NOT even remove it from the Box, just leave it in the cpu box to weight it down.

The Hyper 212 is a great cost/performance HSF and works well for mild OC. For 4.5/4.6 OC the Hyper should be OK, But Myself I'm a firm believer in the Cooler the BETTER and would opt for a HSF rated in the top 10 at frosy's.
@ 4.5/4.6 a lot depends on the individual CPU and MB and at what vcore is required for stable operation.

A cup of Homebrew is about 20 Cents (a Buck and...

Phooka13

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll have to try running that program when I get home.

I'd like to get my CPU temp somewhere in the low 20's idle and mid 50's during heavy use. Do you think that's realistic using the Hyper 212?

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
THe Hyper 212 + Will bring your temps down to ~60C per core at that OC I think when gaming - its best to test it with prime95 first though. Always use per core temps, the general CPU temp means pretty much nothing.

Phooka13

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I see. I was under the impression the CPU temp was what I needed to pay close attention to.

At the moment the idle core temps run around 40c, while high end game will push it to 70c. That sounds about right for a stock cooler. I'm hoping to shave at least 5c off those temps with the Hyper 212. Thanks!

You'll easily get 5C off the temps, dedjon is right individual core temps are what matter. The cPU temp is just the temp of the IHS.

I'd expect a 10C drop from moving to the Hyper 212.

Good thermal compound is important and can reduce temps by a few degrees, though AS5 is alittle outdated now.

While prime95 will push your temps higher than gaming, your setup must allow for the Higher temps as Prime 95 is a MUST for checking the stability of your OC, and you have to run it for 4 hours min, 6->8hrs recommended.

The Stock is HSF is NOT recommended for OCing, personally I DO NOT even remove it from the Box, just leave it in the cpu box to weight it down.

The Hyper 212 is a great cost/performance HSF and works well for mild OC. For 4.5/4.6 OC the Hyper should be OK, But Myself I'm a firm believer in the Cooler the BETTER and would opt for a HSF rated in the top 10 at frosy's.
@ 4.5/4.6 a lot depends on the individual CPU and MB and at what vcore is required for stable operation.

A cup of Homebrew is about 20 Cents (a Buck and a half at 7-11). On cup a day is like - Approx $70 per year. Planning on keeping that OC for a couple of years, it is well worth it to envest in a higher performance HSF.

Idle temps - upper 20's, low 30's mux-nicks. Idle will be around +5-> +9 C above ambient temps. No problem in wither, but dependes alot on summer temps. It's the "Loaded" core temps that are important. My preferce is I do not go above 65C in the summer for continous use, and a good HSF & a OC of 4.5/4.6 should be fine (Do not need water cooling unless going for 5.0 or higher).

added
My config is I5-2500k with a Zalman 9900Max HSF and artic silver 5. Better thermal paste will only shave a couple of degrees off.

Solution

No air cooler will get you close to 20c, unless your room temperature is in the 50f. range. There is always a delta over ambient of perhaps 10c T idle with a good cooler.

You will do better with the hyper212. At the very least, it will be quieter with a slower turning 120mm fan.

Run prime95 with rounding checking.
Run it long enough for the temperature to stabilize at it's peak. You should get NO errors.
Normal gaming will not push the cpu anywhere near it's peak, so 50c is quite reasonable.

Phooka13

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
So I installed the Hyper 212 yesterday and ran Prime95 while I slept (around 7 hours). The highest temp a single core got was 72c while the other cores were around 65c. Isn't that kind of high still? I'm thinking of cleaning the CPU/heat sink and reapplying thermal paste to make sure that isn't the problem, or do these temps sound about right?

There was a HUGE difference in idle temps and while playing games. Idle all cores were 25c - 30c and while playing BF3 the highest a core got was 45c.

Phooka13

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I didn't try Prime95 with the stock cooler but I'm pretty darn sure it could have done some damage to my CPU. With the stock cooler my idle individual core temps were close to 40c and my gaming load around 60c, Prime95 could have pushed temps closer to 80c maybe?.

Phooka13

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I agree, for the price it is well worth the investment. I wanted to get a better cooler but there just isn't enough room between the CPU socket and the first RAM slot. Hyper212 is one tight squeeze as it is.

It was funny all the reviews said the instruction booklet was bad, I felt the instructional video by Cooler Masters was worse!