GA-X58A-UD3R clear cmos light

dakallday

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
so i just purchased a GA-X58A-UD3R and its running pretty well. my only question is about the clear cmos button and its blue light. is there a way i could turn this blue light off? its not that big of a deal, but i was just wondering if this could be done.

Solution
Same answer - duct tape! Watch an episode or two of "Red Green" on PBS for further instruction... [:bilbat:9]

Seriously though - this likely is not a really complex matter, if you had a decent amount of electronics background, some practice soldering, and a fine point, low-wattage iron. Disconnecting the LED would be easiest, but if you wanted it, but dimmer, it would not be out of the question to 'patch in' a higher-value dropping resistor. But it's not the sort of thing I'd be comfotable instructing someone on - especially not having the same board here to experiment on to give you exact technique.

Analogy: some months back (maybe eight or nine?), the 'serious' overclockers found out one of the keys to...

bilbat

Splendid
Same answer - duct tape! Watch an episode or two of "Red Green" on PBS for further instruction... [:bilbat:9]

Seriously though - this likely is not a really complex matter, if you had a decent amount of electronics background, some practice soldering, and a fine point, low-wattage iron. Disconnecting the LED would be easiest, but if you wanted it, but dimmer, it would not be out of the question to 'patch in' a higher-value dropping resistor. But it's not the sort of thing I'd be comfotable instructing someone on - especially not having the same board here to experiment on to give you exact technique.

Analogy: some months back (maybe eight or nine?), the 'serious' overclockers found out one of the keys to getting the first-gen X58 boards to 'cook, was increasing the PCIe bus, say, ten or fifteen percent. There was a problem with this, however - it took a bit of solder-surgery to the bus termination resistors on the boards... The pictures of the mod were "hidden in plain sight", on a page with no links to it - you had to deduce the location for yourself, from carefully placed clues. I'm pretty sure the underlying theory was: if you couldn't find it, you likely shouldn't be taking a soldering iron to your $250 board! Similarly, when I learned to fly, the first lesson was just going up for fourty minutes or so, handling the yoke a little, pushing the pedals to 'feel' the rudder 'yaw' the plane (and seeing if I'd puke!) - the second lesson was when we sat down with a text, and he kind of 'showed me' an airplane, and some of its 'works'... When we got to the dihedral angle the wings are at, which naturally tends to keep the plane from rolling out of level flight, he asked me, very seriously, if I "got it"? I told him "yeah, it's just vector summation - the nuns taught me that when I was about eleven!" He chuckled and told me "Good, 'cause this is the point in the course where, if you find vector addition just too challenging, I try my damndest to talk you out of the whole idea of 'ferrying yourself around the sky', with your life (and maybe, the lives of others) hanging in the balance! Better a disgruntled ex-student, than a dead one..."

Solution