Windows installation problem

hi frns..need some help..

I am trying to install windows XP pro. I can create the partition each time. Its only while the screen where it installs Xp(39 mins remainig) the system crashes and shuts automatically. When i check BIOS as soon as this happens i find the processor temp around 75-80 degrees. It starts getting normal if I leave it as it is in BIOS screen but when i try to install xp again I get the same crash at the same point of installation.
tried changing RAM, HD. i am clueless.
Tried reseating processor and its heat sink.
I have already exchanged the mobo from manufctr.

If i try to install win 7 i cant go beyond 'windows is expanding file'. either a black screen or a screen with black & white stripes appear.

It all started with system freezing randomly and while trying to resolve it had lead me to this prblem.

athlonIIX4 635 2.9ghz
gigabyte GAMA74GMT S2
2gb kingston + 2gb corsair (tried individual RAM, memory test successful)
segeate 500gb braccuda 7200rm (ran chdsk with no issues)

1 strange thing that i noticed was this..at times my monitor did not give any display atall thogh the system was on (the HD LED light used to be on continuously). Then i tried switching power cords of HD & DVD and surprisingly it worked and i could atleast get the display. I have to this few times to get the display but still cant install windows.
in XP system crashes and in win7 i get a blank screen..
1 answer Last reply
More about windows installation problem
  1. Your current cooling system is obviously not good enough on cpu load. Try cpu fans with higher CFM rating, regardless the noise, sinks with a copper core, silver thermal compound is best. You can have a cool system or one you cannot do much with but is silent. Next check your bios settings regarding the cpu fan, I assume you do not overclock, have the fan run all the time, regardless of cpu use.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP