Q8300 vs Phenom x4 810

HAYMAYON

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I'm building an HP budget gaming comp. on their website, and I've stumbled between two choices. I've read the CPU guide on this website and it says that the Phenom 810 is not recommended. I've also read from random forums and reviews that it is a good processor? I will not be overclocking it, and I plan to upgrade the computer with a GTX 260, 550w PSU, and 6gb DDR3. What processor would you recommend I go with? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

If it were a phenom then I would agree but the 810 is a Phenom II. It's relatively close, but I believe the Q8300 is a better performer

If they are the same price, then I would go for the Q8300. If the Phenom II is $20 or more less then I would jump for it.

That only really applies if he intends to upgrade.

If you do go for the phenom II with the intention of upgrading down the road, make sure you use an AM3 motherboard. Even then it is not definite that AMD will continue their next line of processors on that socket especially considering Bulldozer was/is being designed from the ground up.

HAYMAYON

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Yeah, it would be nice to know I could upgrade down the future, rather than in pentiums case with the platform being dead. I don't know if HP uses the AM3 motherboard, can't find any information, highly doubt it. I guess the main thing that matters is the ability to upgrade power supply and graphics card, which shouldn't be a problem.

So it comes down to either dead platform, or take a chance on the motherboard and hope I can upgrade the AMD processor?

and thanks for all the responses, GREAT info!

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
HP is notorious for not providing updated BIOS for new cpu support. No upgrade means buying new HP. Oh, and this is all oem's not just HP. So I would buy what performs better now and not count on an upgrade.

HAYMAYON

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
So HP is pretty much the same as dell, because I was going to try and upgrade my D9150 but came to the conclusion its totally pointless, why not buy an HP for the same amount. Alright, I think I'm leaning towards the Intel Q8300, better reviews, plus i get a free upgrade from 4gb DDR3 to 6gb DDR3! It comes with the GTS 210, I figure I'm just gonna upgrade the PSU and graphics card in a month or two

Sorry I missed that you were buying from an OEM. If I were you I'd build it myself and not worry too much about platform. I mean, you have at least experience upgrading so...

But if you still want to get a prebuilt from HP, definitely don't worry about platform, expect to not be able to overclock and expect to be more limited overall with an OEM motherboard. But yeah down the road a graphics card upgrade and PSU. Would it not be cheaper to build your own from scratch though considering all those upgrades and wasted parts that you're replacing?

HAYMAYON

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Yeah, from what I've heard its always cheaper to build your own computer, I just have never done it myself. Believe me, I'd rather do it that way, but I don't exactly have the confidence to do it. I'd much rather observe someone put one together, then try it myself. I don't exactly trust my friends to do it for me, so this is my only route......once I'm outta college and on my own, then I'll definitely try.

notty22

Distinguished
Are you aware of http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ , you can choose the parts you want in a build.
That way you don't have to pay for what your essentially not going to use. They have 550 dollar builds. They don't charge all that much more than what the parts cost.

HAYMAYON

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I've considered going that route, I was actually about to order a computer from ibuypower.com, but I read mixed reviews and a couple of horror stories that definitely scared me a little. I decided not to go that route b/c of the uncertainty. Believe me, I would love to use one of those sites, the computer would be much more future proof and better all around.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah alot of people talk trash about cyberpower/ibuypower (they're pretty much the same company), and im sure alot of the trash talk is founded on truth. I myself bought a pc from ibuypower about 4 years ago and its still chugging along. I upgraded the cpu and video card a while back and it has treated me well.

ecollegepc.com is a pretty good site and they generally have better prices than ibuypower/cyberpower. I would check them out.

dualblade

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
dont listen to any of them the q8300 ( 4 x 2.5 ) = amd phenom II x3 720 ( 3 x 2.8 ) thanks to the L3 shared cache memory and more advanced architecture ( which is equal to the core i5 architecture ), so ( 4 x 2.6 ) phenom 810 ( only a little bit slower than core i5 750 ) is better than q8300 it is much more q9300-q9400 with much lower price, and dont believe the intel bribed sites reviews, i only have x3 710 ( 3 x 2.6 ) and it is better than q6600 ( 4 x 2.4-lower bus-higher cache than q8300 ) in a lot of applications ( except 3dmark pc score )

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

:pfff:

dualblade

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
this is according to the bribed sites reviews not the real world benchmark, which i has tested my self and found all these reviews to be fake, only the core i7 is better than x4 965 and it will come with a motherboard 3 times the cost of the amd motherboard, so stop lying even to yourself.

If the phenom II architecture is equal to the core i5 architecture, why does a 2.66GHz core i5 outperform a Phenom II 955 clocked at 3.2GHz?
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=88&p2=109
And in any other review I have read.

The core2 architecture is slightly better than the Phenom II architecture leading to better performance at lower clock rates. I would personally say that a 2.4 core2 quad would perform about the same as a 2.6 phenom IIx4. Although I am a fan of AMD, I prefer an unbiased opinion based on facts. Do not listen to this person. dualblade does not know what he is talking about. I invite him to give me links or show me his benchmarks to prove his theories.

On top of this, I have personally benchmarked two computers using crystalmark, which is very accurate with the CPU scores. One with a core2 quad Q9550 clocked at 3.1GHz and an Athlon II x4 at 3.2GHz (this is based on the phenom II architecture).
Scores:
Core 2 quad:
ALU: 57724
FPU: 58663
Athlon II:
ALU: 50484
FPU: 49101

Yes, this core 2 quad model has more cache and the Athlon II lacks L3 cache, but it would not account for this much difference.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

the only reason i didn't go the i5 route and got a 955 instead is because of the dual x8 bus when using 2 graphics cards and i bought a 5850 and plan to get another one down the road so i didn't want any bottlenecks. The 955 performs better than i5 when using two graphics cards anyways.

TRENDING THREADS