Graphics Card Fan Sucking Air In?

andypearce

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hey Everybody.

I recently purchased an ASUS nVidia Geforce 550 TI Graphics Card, and have noticed that the heatsink/fan on top of the card is sucking air onto the card. Is it better to have the fan sucking air into the card or blowing air out of it?

Thanks

Andy

deejayburnout

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Not to sure to be honest, but why?

Maybe my inital post wasn't worded correctly as reading it back, it does sound a little confusing.

Your GPU will be drawing cooler air onto the heatsink to help the heat escape, therefore sucking air onto the card, much like a heatsink for your CPU.

If it was to be blowing air out, there would have to be a flow of air for it to blow any heat away. If you were to cover or restrict a fans supply air, the air flow would be reduced and less heat removed.
You can try that yourself if you cover one of your case fans, and you will feel the reduced flow.

Far better to have the air being blown onto the card.

I hope that is a bit clearer for you.

Of course it blows air onto the gpu, how did you think it cooled itself? lol

I think Asus's has it figured out, I don't think it's necessary for you to use your amazing engineering skills to turn it the opposite way.

andypearce

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Hmm, it was only a question. I was under the impression that this forum was to help others. I have a friend who has a card that draws air out of the GPU, that was why I asked.

His fan blows onto the graphics card and the shroud will route the hot air out through the rear of the case, its pretty much a standard thing for graphics cards these days,
but all fans on a graphics card will blow the air onto the Gpu chip,
hope this helps,
Moto