CPU overheating?

my intel e6300 (overclocked a bit) is overheating i think. here are the temps: idle:40'c /stress:71'c
is this too hot? should i install fans? thanks
15 answers Last reply
More about overheating
  1. The thermal limit of the E6300 is 61.4C. I wouldn't let any CPU go past 55C on load using prime95. Stop running it that hot now before you damage it.
    Install fans? Are you saying that the case doesn't have any fans at all? What is your case? If there is no airflow through the case, the air in there would stay warm.
    Also what is "overclocked a bit"? 200MHz increase? Did you increase the CPU voltage?

Usually the best solution would be to get an aftermarket heatsink and thermal compound to provide better CPU cooling but lets take a look at your current setup first and see if we can do anything:

What is your current cooling setup? (eg, stock cooler, stock thermal compound, antec 300 case with one top 140mm fan and one rear 120mm fan)
    What were your temperatures before overclocking?
    How old is the system? Maybe you have some dust accumulated insulating your case and processor. You can take a look and if there is, blow it away with some compressed air.
    The rest of your system components could be useful to know aswell.
  2. oops. i meant installing a new CPU fan or a case fan. there is airflow in the case.

i overclocked from stock temp. to about 2.1 Ghz and stopped when the temperature reached 65'c+ during a torture test. no overvolting.

i'm using one stock fan and it's running 1997RPM and no heatsing :(
    my system is atleast 4 years old but i regularly clean hair,dust and stuff.

e6300 cpu 2.1Ghz Core voltage 1.416V
    P5LD2-SE ASUS MB
    2GB DDR2 ram
    GT 240

only CPU and Aux temp high

thanks
  3. install the original heatsink correctly perhaps first?
  4. Agreed. Try reseating the HSF. If that doesn't work though an aftermarket cooler is definitely needed. The OCZ Vendetta II apparently does really well and is fairly inexpensive.
    If you have at least some airflow, and your CPU HSF is doing well enough, the temps should not be that high.
    Anyway looks like the only thing in the way of your overclocking so far is the CPU temperature. Once you take care of that, happy overclocking.
  5. im' not sure but i don't think it came with a heatsink =/
    anyways i dont run CPU intensive programs. games like modern warfare 2 on almost full settings gives me about the same CPU temp.
  6. If there was no heatsink, your cpu would be dead 2 seconds after you booted. It's the big metal thing on top of your processor with a fan mounted on top of it beside your ram. But yeah like I said... thermal limit 61.4C. You're hitting 65C. I would be VERY worried about damaging or destroying the processor if I were you.
  7. oh sorry. i dont know much about computer hardware. i thought all heatsinks were square shaped. mines a radical heatsink so i thought it's part of the fan lol :sweat:
  8. The temps are hi, but u use the stock heatsink so u better do some change if u want to overclock that CPU.

I noticed the Core voltage 1.416V, is too hi for what u are doing now. U better let the v-core in auto. U better see the image here for a better understanding: .
    This is a lower v-core on a highest FSB reached than yours. Like other said buy an aftermarket heatsink,a good one might be a Xigmatek HDT SD-964 for under 30$ or some Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus,Ocz Vendetta, etc. Get a good read on internet about overclocking and PC hardware preparation.
  9. The photo that it was meant ed to be first showed is this:

With that mobo u are on limit anyway.U can't do a real overclock because of the limit of FSB supported by the motherboard. That is why u have a hi temps on the system and overvolting the chipset is not helping u either.
  10. i didnt overvolt it and when i adjusted the CPU to go into stock speed and multiplier it's still 1.4V and temperature is about the same. what should i do? how can i adjust the VCORE to go lower or adjust bus speed? im using jumperfree and multiplier settings to overclock my PC in bios btw.

edit: i've been using "overclock profile" in jumperfree config because i dont want to mess with the manual settings. what settings would you guys reccomend for my system?
  11. Set manual Vcore under 1.4...try first 1.2xx something and see how it works. Remember that your mobo supports officially max 1066Mhz FSB on Core 2 only. Higher speed may be unstable.Don't go too hi.

Intel say that E6300 have max 1.5v Vcore, but i won't try this on a gaming system of daily use. Is not a toaster.
  12. CPU Voltages

sspec no. SL9SA default voltage is 1.3525

sspec no. SL9TA default voltage is 1.325

With good cooling, these things o/c to about 3GHz on stock voltages with good temps.

Sounds like you heatsink is either mounted badly, thermal paste is crap, poor air circulation or maybe all of them.

Get yourself a good after market cooler and some case fans.
  13. technuttso said:
    Set manual Vcore under 1.4...try first 1.2xx something and see how it works. Remember that your mobo supports officially max 1066Mhz FSB on Core 2 only. Higher speed may be unstable.Don't go too hi.

Intel say that E6300 have max 1.5v Vcore, but i won't try this on a gaming system of daily use. Is not a toaster.

umm i undervolted it but i cant seem to be able to change the CPU frequency in BIOS (jumperfree) so my cpu is slower than 1.86Ghz help?
  14. If the readings of vCore are correct ( BIOS readings ) then u have some problems with the voltage regulator on the socket, but is a long way till there. That mobo is not a good overclocker, like i said first, and is a bit old...ho knows, maybe i'm right with the voltage regulators. I don't know if that board is having some OC voltage jumpers, if does i hope u are not using them and do this mess. Anyway do the thing that other guys keep repeating u, control your heatsink, reapply TIM (thermal paste) and if is not working change the heatsink. Get that Cooler Master, u will use 'it on a future machine upgrade.
    Get more info's here for overclock a combo ASUS P5LD2 SE and E6400 core duo:
    http://www.acooke.org/cute/Overclocki0.html
  15. thanks for the help guys
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel