BIOS Update Utility(s) Question

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I am having BIOS Update Utility problems. Could an ISO/CD BIOS update be anymore reliable than using a Web Connected Update or USB Update Utility? I think I know the answer. However, I would like some feedback. Thanks

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
any bootable method of flashing the bios is acceptable, flashing from windows is not safe and flashing online is begging for a brick

never flash unless you need a new feature that was added in the new bios

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Depends on what you mean by USB Update Utility. Agree with 505090 - flashing from windows is not safe and can brick your board. These days some motherboards allow you to boot into a BIOS flash utility or load it from BIOS, and then from there read your downloaded BIOS files off a USB stick. This is much safer than updating from within windows.

If you need any more specific help, tell us your board.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I have been on here several times asking questions about the BIOS/Updating. I have experience in Flashing BIOS and feel comfortable doing so. There is a new BIOS update available on the MSI website. I agree that unless I need an update it should be left alone. Over 2/3's of my DRAM timing adjustments are not accessible in the BIOS menu and there are supposed to be, according to MSI Tech support, DRAM will not perform to spec's on this board but will on another. A BIOS update might help with some or all of these issues.

There are several issues to consider:
1. M-Flash: Not Recommended by forum.
2. Live Update 4: Not Recommended by forum.
3. USB BIOS Tool Utility: Error message, failed at 24%. Abort.

Why should I have to take the risk of bricking my board for unreliable BIOS issues. Several forum members report problems with the USB Tool Utility. So far, it hasn't proven to me it's reliable. The complaints seem to be USB format/compatibility related. I ran their memtest from the USB and it Passed, 0 Errors. So, in my eye's they could just make an ISO. Right?

I have asked very politely, and they will not make/provide one.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
most manufacturers have the option to flash from floppy as a last resort, never used msi so not sure about their support

if you have a bootable usb it shouldn't take to much tinkering to make a bootable cd....

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

Yes. I have the formatted bootable USB. I don't have a floppy or floppy drive. Funny thing, I learned how to build a system about 2yrs ago. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is way out of my knowledge base.

I can speak of the past issue's with MSI and this one. None have been good. I used ASUS in my previous two builds and never had any support issues from the them. They were very polite and mailed me a new CMOS chip (with current BIOS update) for free. But, they had acknowledged their new update was jacking the CMOS chips and they made it right. They were apologetic and got it the next day. Can't ask for any better than that.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
the easiest would be to borrow a floppy drive....

another way, would be to create an iso from the files you have then burn the iso to a cd, exact steps are going to vary depending on the software you use. some software will have a option to make a bootable cd then you would just select your files and add them to the disc/