Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How does the P55 NF200 compare to an X58 board?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 24, 2010 7:44:53 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-crossfire-nf200...

We have the review from the site, but have you tested both or do you have a P55 with the NF200 chip? I wonder why the P55 didnt impliment this chip in the first place....
a c 156 V Motherboard
March 24, 2010 8:25:44 AM

liquidsnake718 said:
I wonder why the P55 didnt impliment this chip in the first place....

Cost, for what is basically a niche product.
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2010 9:50:45 AM

liquidsnake718 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-crossfire-nf200...

We have the review from the site, but have you tested both or do you have a P55 with the NF200 chip? I wonder why the P55 didnt impliment this chip in the first place....

Did you actually read the article? It tells you what boards were used. If you can't read the top line of page two in the article, you don't deserve an answer.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2010 10:45:53 AM

Ouch. But true.
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2010 3:48:38 PM

^+1 Crashman

Anyway, nVidia was originally pushing to only allow boards with the NF200 to support crossfire, but relented because it wasn't too useful on X58 boards while adding cost. On P55 boards though it provides a significant benefit with multiple GPU configurations, but it represents a larger part of the cost of the board. If a P55 board with the NF200 comes too close in cost to a budget X58 board, you're probably going to go with the X58 setup.
March 25, 2010 4:23:48 AM

Crashman said:
Did you actually read the article? It tells you what boards were used. If you can't read the top line of page two in the article, you don't deserve an answer.

I wasn’t asking what boards were being reviewed. Plus you missed my point entirely. I was asking and getting the consensus of the READERS of this article, not the editors or the writers of the article, that is why this is in a fourm and not asked on the article itself.

Obviously I know you tested the MB's and have the platforms. I wanted to see feedback on what ppl thought of these reviews compared to an X58 and also why didn’t the vendors just sell these P55's with the NF200 chip. In my opinion, I don’t feel that the original P55 warranted much attention as the X58 has more credence as a real next gen platform, however I do understand from a marketing standpoint, I can see where the mainstream market can easily buy into the P55 and their version of the core i7. Again I question why Nvidia didn’t sell the NF200 chip to some mb vendors like MSI or ASUS from the get go since the launch P55 boards were limited to 16x bandwidth overall. I actually think this is a good product and will allow more headroom for games and other gpu intensive applications for the P55 market but it is still not an X58.

Again, sorry if you thought I was referring and asking you the rhetorical questions but in essence I was asking if the readers had tested and benched this NF200 board as well.........
a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2010 5:01:14 AM

liquidsnake718 said:
I wasn’t asking what boards were being reviewed. Plus you missed my point entirely. I was asking and getting the consensus of the READERS of this article, not the editors or the writers of the article, that is why this is in a fourm and not asked on the article itself.

Obviously I know you tested the MB's and have the platforms. I wanted to see feedback on what ppl thought of these reviews compared to an X58 and also why didn’t the vendors just sell these P55's with the NF200 chip. In my opinion, I don’t feel that the original P55 warranted much attention as the X58 has more credence as a real next gen platform, however I do understand from a marketing standpoint, I can see where the mainstream market can easily buy into the P55 and their version of the core i7. Again I question why Nvidia didn’t sell the NF200 chip to some mb vendors like MSI or ASUS from the get go since the launch P55 boards were limited to 16x bandwidth overall. I actually think this is a good product and will allow more headroom for games and other gpu intensive applications for the P55 market but it is still not an X58.

Again, sorry if you thought I was referring and asking you the rhetorical questions but in essence I was asking if the readers had tested and benched this NF200 board as well.........

Ah, well, I've played with these quite a bit, if you want a specific LGA-1156 CPU with a pair of card the NF200 is a viable option. If you'd just as soon get an LGA-1366 CPU, you'll have better motherboard option that way.

Really, it all comes down to your choice of CPU and not much else, at least so far as gaming is concerned.
March 25, 2010 6:17:49 AM

Crashman said:
Ah, well, I've played with these quite a bit, if you want a specific LGA-1156 CPU with a pair of card the NF200 is a viable option. If you'd just as soon get an LGA-1366 CPU, you'll have better motherboard option that way.

Really, it all comes down to your choice of CPU and not much else, at least so far as gaming is concerned.

I completely agree with you on the X58 and it truly depends on processor and if you are in the market for OCing.
However I have had one question that has been lingering for a long time.

Fuzion Hydra. Ive read you past article on the MSI Hydra mb and I was amazed with this particular board it being able to utilize both Ati and Nvidia but my only concern was it was for a P55 1156 chip.

Im guessing that the technology is proprietary to MSI but will they ever release it with the full 32 lanes of bandwidth to mix and match ATi and Nvidia cards for the 1136? This will bring a whole new level of comparisons and a new level for benchmarking ALL cards in SLI or crossfire. Perhaps we can truly find out which is more efficient in scaling with two cards on at the same time. I think there would be heaps of buyers out there for a board like this.

I don’t know much about the tech and am wondering if this is even possible on an X58? I’ve been waiting for a long time to get the "right" X58 board but they have been slow to come out with even usb3.0 slots and the like, but if MSI were to come out with this hydra chip on an X58 I would spend the premium for sure on something that could scale my Ati card with a new Fermi card. I wonder if the new cards are also built to scale with their competitors... what do you think?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 25, 2010 7:36:26 AM

liquidsnake718 said:
I completely agree with you on the X58 and it truly depends on processor and if you are in the market for OCing.
However I have had one question that has been lingering for a long time.

Fuzion Hydra. Ive read you past article on the MSI Hydra mb and I was amazed with this particular board it being able to utilize both Ati and Nvidia but my only concern was it was for a P55 1156 chip.

Im guessing that the technology is proprietary to MSI but will they ever release it with the full 32 lanes of bandwidth to mix and match ATi and Nvidia cards for the 1136? This will bring a whole new level of comparisons and a new level for benchmarking ALL cards in SLI or crossfire. Perhaps we can truly find out which is more efficient in scaling with two cards on at the same time. I think there would be heaps of buyers out there for a board like this.

I don’t know much about the tech and am wondering if this is even possible on an X58? I’ve been waiting for a long time to get the "right" X58 board but they have been slow to come out with even usb3.0 slots and the like, but if MSI were to come out with this hydra chip on an X58 I would spend the premium for sure on something that could scale my Ati card with a new Fermi card. I wonder if the new cards are also built to scale with their competitors... what do you think?

The performance of the first Lucid Hydra board I've seen was so horrible when mixing cards I quit paying attention. If I see something in the news that shows Lucid has turned this around, I'll take a closer look.
June 28, 2010 4:19:02 PM

Best answer selected by liquidsnake718.
!