Sign in with
Your question

RAM compatibilty

Last response: in Memory
March 24, 2010 8:39:08 AM

Hi dere,

well i m thinking of upgrading my sys, i have DG41RQ mother board with kingston 1 GB of DDR2 (667 Mhz) ram and intel 2.40 Dual core, now i want to upgrade my sys one peice at a time due to some financial constraints. First off all i was thinking of upgradin my memory first now can i use a 2 gb ddr2 of same frequency wid the current RAM ? will they be compatible with each other ? totalling the total amount of memory available to 3 GB.

or should i go for a single stick of 4 gb DDR2 ??

option one is more preffered as it will cost me less as compared to a single 4 gb stick ! and also how much difference is in performance of a hyper x ram and a simple ram !!

and also i think the boostin the memory will increase the sys performance more than gettin a new processor (thinkin of e8500 ) and keeping the same RAM for the time being, is dat so or first shuld i go for processor and later for RAM ??

More about : ram compatibilty

March 24, 2010 8:45:32 AM

just get same brand & frequency of ram sticks ,, it will work fine..
m
l
a b } Memory
March 24, 2010 3:42:52 PM

unless I'm mistaken that is a dual channel board, so I would recommend two identical sticks of memory. which would utilize both channels hence doubling your memory bandwidth.
For many users 2gb of ram is sufficient (but that depends on your uses which aren't listed)
Bought hyperX once, there is a performance gain to be had i don't feel it's worth the price. Usually get muskin value ram now. Also be aware that if you run two sticks of ram they will both run at the lowest common specs.
Ram should prove to be a good upgrade, personally i wouldn't bother with that cpu upgrade unless I go the processor dirt cheap if you wanna keep the board perhaps look into a quad core down the road
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2010 3:59:14 PM

aahaa thnx for ur rep, well m gonna use it for gaming basically
so for dual channel u r recommending dat i buy another 1 GB stick instead of 2 GB stick as m not plannin on changin my motherboard in the near future !
m
l
!