256Mb 400MHz DDR ram

samrat_rao

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hi,

This is a kinda strange question...I wish to buy a DDR 400MHz 256Mb ram. It is a used one ie 2nd hand. Could someone tell me if there is a risk involved with it? I mean i know that electronic items can conk out any time, but would you recommend buying such items?

What could be wrong with these 2nd hand stuff?

Thanks.

Solution
Even used RAM lasts a long time.
It will be hard to find new DDR RAM. So I think you should buy that 2nd hand ram.

Just make sure that the golden pins don't have many scratches on it.

BTW When I bought SDR RAM 2nd hand the shopkeeper gave me 1 year warranty.
See if you can get any warranty or not.

shubham1401

Distinguished
Even used RAM lasts a long time.
It will be hard to find new DDR RAM. So I think you should buy that 2nd hand ram.

Just make sure that the golden pins don't have many scratches on it.

BTW When I bought SDR RAM 2nd hand the shopkeeper gave me 1 year warranty.
See if you can get any warranty or not.

Solution

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I don't know where are you from, but to find DDR modules in Europe is not difficult . There are a lot of stores where you can get some new modules. For example at alternate (Germany | Holland | Austria | Belgium | Spain):

I only would buy a second-hand module if I hadn't another options. A memory module is sensible and it can easily be damaged.

samrat_rao

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hi,

First hand DDR modules are available here in India too. But it costs about 16+USD, which is steep for me for a 256Mb ram. If i get a 2nd hand good one for less than half the price then it is a good option for me. But as you said, it can be easily damaged.

By damaged you mean the gold-plated contacts having scratches?

samrat_rao

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Thanks, i'll remember the guarantee part.

Could you tell about any other potential problems/defects in 2nd hand rams?