Need help with dvd drive

mfernicola

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I purchased an oem dvd rw drive that came with Nero 8 essentials (Samsung). Everything seems to have installed fine, but when I try to play a dvd movie I get no sound.

Nero asks me to download a trial version of their product, but when I do this it tells me that a more current version is already installed.

CD's sound just fine. The video from the DVD movie plays just fine -- just no audio.

Do I need a separate decoder for the dvd audio or have I missed something in the setup?

Yes, I agree on K-Lite.

Be careful not to start adding other programs that add their own codecs as this can create issues.

Windows Media Player should use the K-Lite codecs if it was missing any. You can change what program opens DVD's (A Windows feature). I don't think K-Lite's media player, WMPC-HC works with the Windows Media Center remote (or any remote?).

Decoding video:
WMPC-HC as part of K-Lite can also decode video via the graphics hardware decoder if you have one. My X2-4800+ uses 65% CPU to play Hellboy 2 @ 1080p (AVC, MKV, DTS); my TOTAL system usage including the movie with hardware decoding (DXVA) was only 3% which means any CPU is good enough. I'm getting my sister a $45 graphics card so she can watch high-def video now.

I've been using K-Lite for years. It's really solid now.

Other audio stuff:
1) Make sure your audio drivers are correct and up to date
2) Many people spend thousands of dollars on their computers over the years but use a cheap audio card and $15 speakers. Sigh.