Sign in with
Your question

New i5 Build: Can Silence and Budget be synced?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
October 4, 2009 11:48:20 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this months

BUDGET RANGE: 1000$ Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: internet, Adobe CS4, Excel, Prism, Smartdraw (I like to have multiple applications and browser windows open at once).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, DVD/CD drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I like Newegg, but will buy elsewhere.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Quiet PC with an eye to budget.

New system
CPU = Core i5 750
Motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R
Ram = Crucial 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Video Card = ASUS EAH4350 SILENT
Power supply = CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W
CPU cooler = ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET
Case = COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
Hard Drive = Western Digital Caviar Black WD640
Keyboard = Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard
Mouse = Logitech MX Revolution Black

OS will be Windows 7...when it comes out.

A couple questions:

Choosing a video card was painful, and I'm still not sure about it. I can spend more on one, but I don't want it to be loud. Suggestions?

Is the power supply big enough?

Thanks!

Kim
October 5, 2009 12:15:13 AM

Your build looks reasonable.

A good place to research quiet computing is at www.silentpcreview.

Since you are not gaming, almost any graphics card should be good. To be quiet, a fanless one like you picked is great.

I would get the WD caviar black 1tb drive. The extra density makes it a bit faster, and you can always use extra capacity if you record video.

Look into the Antec SOLO, it is my favorite case. It has insulated sides, and other quiet features.
m
l
October 5, 2009 12:21:57 AM

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout...I'm not sure if the video card will be supported by the plastic toolless design inside of the case. It depends on how heavy the video card is. I suggest you look for a case that is not made of plastic and also something not toolless because you don't want your HDDs to vibrate and yet a case big enough for good airflow, keeping temps low and your PC quiet.
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2009 12:36:30 AM

kageryu said:
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout...I'm not sure if the video card will be supported by the plastic toolless design inside of the case. It depends on how heavy the video card is. I suggest you look for a case that is not made of plastic and also something not toolless because you don't want your HDDs to vibrate and yet a case big enough for good airflow, keeping temps low and your PC quiet.

Aluminum cases are good at spreading heat and keeping the PC cool. I think a case with multiple low-RPM fans would be good.

I noticed you have a 3x2GB memory kit. Get a 2x2GB dual channel kit for the i5.

G.SKILL DDR3-1333 8-8-8-21 1.5V - $80 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!