RDP Disconnects after login

Timadin

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hello tech gurus!

I have a problem that has stumped me thus far and i am looking for some help. I have a media pc running windows vista ultimate that I would like to remote desktop into so i can administrate it from my desktop running winxp pro. I have enabled RDP on the vista machine, allowed for previvous version of RDP to be used, and added the my user to the list of RDP users. When i try to remote in everything starts fine, i enter the password and my connection locks up, after 40 sec or so I get a windows message letting me know the connection could not be created in the time allowed. I have updated my wireless driver (edimax wireless 802.11g ) and my display driver (ati 4200 hd). I have also verified that the vista machine is listening on port 3389. I have also downloaded RDP 60 for my xp pro machine.

Funny thing is if i enter a incorrect password it lets me know and I can try to reenter. It just seems weird that I can connect to the login screen but nothing past that.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!!

Timadin

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
First, thanks for the reply GhislainG

Firewall is enabled, and I double checked to make sure the exception was enabled for RDP. I even tried it with the firewall off just to make sure and i still get the same result.