Sign in with
Your question

Printers disappear after boot, need reinstall

Last response: in Windows 7
October 5, 2011 7:38:31 PM

My laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 has an annoying problem.

Each time the machine is booted all installed printers disappear and need to be reinstalled. This goes both for physical printers and .pdf printers.

Does anyone out there have a fix for this problem - have searched the net for info without being able to spot other users with same problem.

Best regards,

/Thobo
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2011 7:42:12 PM

Don't restart /joke

That is odd. By any chance do you have a proper Antivirus and antimalware protection? If so what are you using?

Is this printer located on a network, or is it directly connected to your computer via USB?

What type of printer is it?
m
l
October 5, 2011 7:50:39 PM

Thanks for getting back to me in virtually seconds ! Will try to answer as good as possible :-)

The machine is brand new, up to date using Windows Update, running F-Secure Antivirus for Workstations.

The printer is a Brother MFC GW 9230 color laser printer on a wireless network.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2011 1:30:50 AM

maybe some corruption in windows, since its new and probably doesnt have much data on it, re-image it while you can, that should fix your issue.
m
l
October 6, 2011 4:51:16 AM

@iam2thecrowe: "Re-image" - does that mean that I should re-install the OS from the bottom ? Will have to see if the media is in a hidden partition on the HDD - the machine is a Lenovo G560.
m
l
October 17, 2011 4:14:12 AM

Problem solved. The OS did not start the print spooler service automatically - now fixed.

Thanks your friendly replies :-)
m
l
October 17, 2011 11:20:19 AM

How did you fix it? i had the same problem. i had to reload windows :( 
m
l
October 18, 2011 8:09:25 AM

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Services.
Find the item Print Spooler and right-click. Set it to start automatically and hit OK, then reboot.

Good luck !
m
l
November 19, 2011 12:12:08 PM

thobo said:
My laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 has an annoying problem.

Each time the machine is booted all installed printers disappear and need to be reinstalled. This goes both for physical printers and .pdf printers.

Does anyone out there have a fix for this problem - have searched the net for info without being able to spot other users with same problem.

Best regards,

/Thobo

Check out the link:
http://serverfault.com/questions/147255/win-7-client-pr...
and pay attention to answere nr 2.
I do this evey time I run into the problem, hope it works for you too.
m
l
!