I7 860 + Radeon 5850 for running Photoshop CS4

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next month or so

BUDGET RANGE: <$1,500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photoshop CS4, Lightroom, Excel, Web

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers, optical drives, hard drive, wireless network card

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg (US)

PARTS PREFERENCES: n/a

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Looking to build a system that can run CS4 efficiently and doesn't make a ton of noise. Don't really care about having a system with a lot of bling and I won't really be playing any games on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the parts I'm looking at:

Monitor: SAMSUNG P2370 High glossy black 23" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DC 50000:1(1000:1) - Retail ($264.99 at Newegg)

Case + PSU: Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail ($109.99 at Newegg)

CPU: Intel i7 860 ($289.99 at Newegg)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P or ASUS P7P55D ($169.99 at Newegg)

Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail ($129.99 at Newegg)

Video Card: ATI Radeon 5850 ($259.99) - if I can find one that becomes available, I'm not in a huge rush

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have a Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A case that I can reuse and just get a new power supply (I think mine right now is 450watts), but I'm kind of inclined to get a case that's smaller and more quiet. Is that pointless or should I just get a new PSU and quieter fans?

For the hard drive, I currently have a SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s hard drive and a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (backup drive currently). Should I buy a new hard drive for loading the OS and programs? Am I going to have a bottleneck in the speed of the Samsung drive? I don't really need the extra space, just worried about speed.

Any thoughts or anything you would change?

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5850 running photoshop
  1. With the i7 860, you don't need a triple channel memory kit. Get either 4 or 8 gb kits. I recommend this:

Gskill Ripjaw 4gb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

As for the harddrive situation, I would go with this HD for speed:

Samsung Spinpoint F3
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

It is very fast and rated very high on the Egg. It is also commonly recommended on the forums.

For the 5850, I believe the minimal recommended PSU is 500w. Are you sure you want to run the minimum of your requirements? I would go with this PSU:

Corsair 650tx
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
  2. Is there a reason you want the Radeon 5850 if you're not playing games? I recently built a PC for photography, so mostly running LR2 and CS4. I got a cheaper video card and placed the money I saved towards, i.e. an IPS screen.

I'll be happy to share my parts list with you if you want.
  3. a gaming gfx card is no use at all to a computer unless you are gaming .
    A $70 4670 with a passive cooler is more appropriate and a bottom end Quaddro and even better choice .

The 860 is a good processor but cs4 is probably going to run better with an i7 920 thanks to the extra memory bandwidth of the triple channel , and you can spend some of the money you saved on the gfx card and buy another 6 gig of RAM since cs4 is 64 bit
  4. Outlander_04 said:
    a gaming gfx card is no use at all to a computer unless you are gaming .
    A $70 4670 with a passive cooler is more appropriate and a bottom end Quaddro and even better choice .

The 860 is a good processor but cs4 is probably going to run better with an i7 920 thanks to the extra memory bandwidth of the triple channel , and you can spend some of the money you saved on the gfx card and buy another 6 gig of RAM since cs4 is 64 bit

^Totally agreed, best answer so far.
  5. Outlander_04 said:

860 outperforms the 920 according to this article from Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3641&p=3
  6. Thanks for the feedback so far.

era86: There wasn't any reason in particular I was looking at that power supply other than the fact that it came with that case. I thought 500w seemed low but it didn't seem like my power needs would be quite as high since I'm not using SLI or overclocking. Is the Spinpoint F3 going to be significantly faster than my Spinpoint F1?

Jidonsu: No reason in particular other than it's a new card that seemed to be getting decent reviews. I was under the impression CS4 made good use of the graphic card which was the reason I was looking for a good graphic card. I'd love to see the list of parts you just put together.

Outlander_04: What Quadro graphic card would you recommend in its place? The main reason I was looking at the 860 over the 920 was because of that Anandtech review that era86 linked to. Would certain memory configurations (w/ price being equal) put one over the other? They seem pretty close at is right now.

Thanks,
    Doug
  7. The base level quaddro is all you will need
    They are usually the same chip as nVidia uses on gaming cards but are underclocked and buffered differently to ensure perfect stability . The drivers are written with image quality in mind and not maximum FPS

The 860 and the 920 have identical processor cores , so you'd expect the one with a higher frequency to perform more work in a given time . If you are running at stock speeds it does look like the 860 edges ahead . If the 920 was oc'ed to the same frequency it would win thanks to memory bandwidth.
    Given that you are not oc'ing then you may be better off with the 860 . Its certainly a cheaper option when you take into account Mb and RAM
    I would still go with the 920 if you are regularly working with large gigabyte size images . Then having the 12 gig of triple channel ram would pay off , I think .
    Other than that the 860 with 8 gig
  8. Ok, I guess I'm looking at a PNY Quadro FX 380 card then ($125.99) unless there's a reason to step up to the PNY Quadro FX 580 ($184.99)

Should I be looking into Xeon processors instead of the 860 or 920? How hard and safe is it to overclock the 920? Is that going to be my best solution by far?
  9. When intel m[and amd] make processors the entire range is the exact same thing . ie the 920 is identical to the top end ci7 processor . They grade them b4 deciding which is which but DO stepping 920 [ current model ] is capable of over 4.0 Ghz .

if you look at the messageboard for overclocking there is a detailed guide on how to clock the i7 . Getting the core speed as high as the 860 will be a very minor adjustment and present no challenges .

The 380 quaddro will be plenty . Displaying 2D images isnt challenging for any gfx card .
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product