Tv tuner video card question

ilovekaren2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
OK, so I have a gateway sx2800. here are the specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 (2.33GHz, 4MB L2 cache, 1333MHz)
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500
Intel® G43 Express Chipset + ICH10
4GB DDR3 SDRAM
640GB SATA hard drive (1)
18x DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring Labelflash™ Technology (2)
Multi-in-one digital media card reader
Windows® Vista Home Premium 64 bit
10/100/1000 (Gigabit) LAN
9 USB 2.0 ports (5 front / 4 rear)
1 IEEE 1394a port (front, mini)
1 eSATA port (rear)
1 HDMI port (rear)
1 VGA port (rear)
High-definition audio with 6-channel (5.1) audio support

The power supply is only 220 watts. So here is my question.

I just bought this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102829 and from what im reading it works perfect in this system. Im not sure how much power it consumes from the psu or if it just runs from the motherboard as there is no extra connection required. I plan to install this card when it arrives. What I need to know is, do you think i could take the modem out of the other pcie slot and replace it with this tv tuner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6815116037 because i have no idea how much power a tv tuner will pull from the psu, if any. If i cannot run this card and the graphics card i ordered, any suggestions on a tv tuner that would work with this setup? Because i have checked everywhere for an upgrade to the power supply and so far no luck as nothing will fit. Any help would be apreciated. thanks,

Jr

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Links are broken to Newegg, probably better to edit and put the model numbers of the graphics card and tuner. Either way 220 watts isn't going to power a whole lot more than what is already in the system and certainly not a graphics card that requires an external 6 pin PCIe power plug.

ilovekaren2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hey thanks for the replay and sorry about the links. The video card is SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102829

I got this on monday and installed it and its working perfectly without any problems.

The tv tuner i was looking at is Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner / Encoder 1229
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116037

I checked a couple of power supply calculaters online and they all just say "additional pcie cards" and they dont say what kind of card. So I thought maybe the tv tuner in pcie slot would pretty much draw power from the motherboard as the system requirements for the tuner on newegg does not list a psu requirement, but I could be wrong. Thanks for your help.

wpatters1229

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I am looking to get a gigabyte ga-ep43-ud3l MB and am wondering which graphics card to get that will support two monitors (crts) with a tv tuner built in. I have a Radeon now that has that with one monitor and another pci card for my second monitor. This would be for a new system.
I do not play games and use the system for web design and dev so most of the horsepower will be used to just make things run faster and better...graphics do not need to be HD or anything fast.

Thanks

Please start your own thread rather than hijacking this one. :non:

A TV card does not require a lot of power but you may be pushing your PSU close to it's limit as it is, I would try the TV card out and if you start experiencing problems then invest in a new power supply.

leon2006

Distinguished
What brand of 220W PSU are you using... It seems too low and if it ever runs you may be on borrowed time.

With the amount of investment you have on your HW i suggest adding a few $ for power supply.

405W/500W PSU from reputable brand are sometimes sold ~ $50 when on sale. I suggest you invest on your PSU.

Happuage 2250 is an excellent HD-TV and Analog TV Tuner. It does not draw significant power beyond what is provided on the PCIEx1 slot. I'd been using it close to a year now. Its the last thing you need to worry about when it comes to PSU capacity.

ilovekaren2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009

hey and thanks to everyone for your replies. Leon, sorry I forgot to mention this is the slim case pc. I have looked and looked for a power supply to replace this one. however no luck so far as nothing out there right now will fit in this tiny case. oterwise I would upgraded it to at least a 500w. Maybe eventually they will make something that will fit. What i did when i got the video card is a completely disabled the onboard graphics and from what i hear, the 4650 doesnt pull much more the on board graphics did, maybe 7-8 watts more. so if this tuner does not pull much more the pcie already provides i may give it shot and see what happens. If I encounter any problems, maybe ill strip everything from this case and put it another case and pick up a nice psu. Thanks for the info.

TRENDING THREADS