What processor should i build around

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hey guys, I am getting ready to build a new system. I don't need a whole list of parts. I just need some advice on what processor to build around. The system will be for simple every day use, no gaming, no video editing. Just surfing the web, checking email, storing pics, home videos, basic spread sheets, etc... Amd vs intel? Dual core vs tri core vs quad core. What do you think

tecmo34

Administrator

Here is a comparison of the 620 vs 550 BE (Doesn't have 545)... http://anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=106&p2=97

In most office related task, the slower 620 is better since they can utilize all four cores, which make it faster than a dual core. You have to remember in most "non-gaming" activities, a PC will be faster with a slightly slower quad versus a faster dual.

As you stated, the OP will be fine with either CPU. The OP would be fine even with the X2 250 or even a E5300. I just feel for under $100, the 620 is the better option.

rudy2112

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for all the input. I am actually building a new pc for a friend. So let me give him this info, and see what he thinks. I might be back with more questions. In the mean time, if you have any other thoughts, I would very much appreciate those also.