Sign in with
Your question

M4A89GTD 4+1 raid5 fails after reboot everytime.

Last response: in Storage
August 11, 2011 9:37:51 PM

My raid 5 Keeps going into a "not initialized state after reboot only after more then 2tb has been transfered over to it. less and it operates fine. Im having alot of trouble with this. I have tried the following to no avail:

set raid in bios-fast initialization
set raid in raidxpert-fast and full initializations
set 3 disc raid using disks 1-3,3-5, 1-2-4,1-3-5

i have tried both 64 and 128 strip. ncq on and off, gig boundry on and off.

all of these end in the same result. after i move any more then 2tb to the array the whole disc shows not initialized after a reboot of win 7 x64 ult.
i have also tried raid 0, and that holds the data just fine.(using discs 1-4, and 2-5)

data only raid
Gpt and ntfs used.
all sata set to raid in bios

This has been pluaging me for 6 weeks now, trying to sort out what is wrong.
I have all up to date drivers, bios and utillities.
Drives have been tested, and even a raid 0 or jbod of all discs holds the data fine
raidxpert and bios still state raid is healthy and funtioning. but win 7 losses intitialization state.

Edit: not sure if its related, but i should mention it. my usb 3.0 rarely works. up to date firmware and drivers. I dont think its related. but every detail is essential as far as i am concerned. thanks everyone.
a c 544 G Storage
August 11, 2011 10:26:32 PM

From page 4-14 of your motherboard manual:

"Due to Windows XP / Vista limitation, a RAID array with the total capacity over 2TB cannot be set as a boot disk. A RAID array over 2TB can only be set as a data disk only."

For some reason your motherboard or BIOS thinks you’re using XP or Vista instead of Win 7?

Read the next paragraph where it talks about creating a RAID driver disk.

Try that and see if it works.
m
l
August 11, 2011 10:43:43 PM

thanks for the quick reply, the raid 5 isnt my boot disc, it is data storage only. i have tried both setting up the array, after win 7 install and before install, using the most up to date raid driver disc created using the raid driver disc tool from asus' support page.
the limitation they are referencing has to do with mbr vs gpt support in windows OS versions, if i remember correctly. but either way only applies to setting up array as boot disc.
The array works fine until i transfer over 2 tb. and if i dont restart handle my full 5.4 tb of data just fine. (full access to ALL files) but after that reboot, in drops into a none initialized state within windows. raid reports fine, and i can still access all data using tools like r-studio. re-initialization through win management console will always result in loss of all data.
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2011 7:09:35 AM

A shot in the dark...

Windows 7 has a problem converting a SATA drive from ide to advanced after Win 7 has already been loaded. There is a fix for this in the microsoft help. I remember it mentioning raid arrays.

If Windows was installed before the raid array was built, you may need to download the simple script (it updates the registry.)

Sorry, I don't remember a link, and it's a thin clue at best.

Good luck.
m
l
August 12, 2011 8:00:31 PM

ivoryjohn13 said:
A shot in the dark...

Windows 7 has a problem converting a SATA drive from ide to advanced after Win 7 has already been loaded. There is a fix for this in the microsoft help. I remember it mentioning raid arrays.

If Windows was installed before the raid array was built, you may need to download the simple script (it updates the registry.)

Sorry, I don't remember a link, and it's a thin clue at best.

Good luck.

i think i came across something like that, do you recall if the fix process had to do with reg-editing the start keys for istorv and msahci from 0x0 to 0x3 or something of that sort? I trying to search for the Microsoft fix by your discription, but am having a hard time.
m
l
!